What is this and how do you stop it?

71CudaGuy

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Sorry, new to this type of thing. Had to set up a new computer with win 10 (64bit) as well as office 2016 (64bit). Everything seemed OK until we fired up Excel, then the nightmare began. Working with 2 open Excel files cutting and pasting back and forth as I did with Excel 2007. A ridiculous number of problems soon occurred the worst being the Excel not responding and taking anywhere up to 20 minutes to process a single cell move. Played with the settings and managed to get it down to about 20 seconds but this is totally absurd. Now when I highlight a block of cells and right click I get a pattern in the middle of the highlighted area which looks like 2 columns of 3 grey dots with a circular arrow above the 2 columns. It reminds me of a text formatting where you can click on the circular arrow and drag something in rotation. Haven't tried this because I have never experienced this in Excel and I don't know what to expect and possibly screw up a lot of work in the mean time. Has anyone else seen this or had experience with this and how do you stop it?

Attachments

• Excel problem sheet.gif
    Excel problem sheet.gif
    48.8 KB · Views: 28

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
It looks like you pasted/added a shape onto the worksheet.

Upvote 0
sorry for the small size, initially I did a print screen and pasted it into a blank word page but the system here didn't accept anything in a document format. when I put it into paint to get a photo format I didn't realize it shrank it as much until it was posted. I will take a photo later when I have to fight with it again.

As far as it looking like a pasted shape we don't know where it is coming from. If I highlight a block to do anything it shows up, really a pain in the ***. It looks like what you get when you are working with a photo to either enlarge or rotate. It makes no sense, i'm at the point of reloading office again and hoping for the best.

Upvote 0
71CudaGuy,

I wish I could help, but I can only share your frustration. I finally was forced
to use one of the new versions of Excel with the "Ribbon" The buttons have
been re-named, moved and don't do what they used to do. Many features
take more clicks than in older versions but when you finally get there the
dialog box is the same. At least the Excel 2007 that I'm using still retains
the F11 shortcut for creating graphs, for a while I had Excel 2013 where that
didn't work at all. The new "Select Data Source" dialog box is less than user
friendly - Getting X and Y values to correctly line up sometimes can't be done.
The only really nice thing is the ability to rotate images, something that older
versions didn't have.

Some things really need to be fixed. A selection to disable the Date Function
is at the top of my list. Cut and paste some internet data and Excel decides
that some cells contain a date, and you pretty well have to start over to get
rid of it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back