What is this pop-up and how to get rid of it?

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
For some reason known only to the geniuses at m$ft, I started getting this pop-up while working with a chart:

1633937500578.png

I cannot figure out how to get rid of it. Esc doesn't work and right-click doesn't do anything. The only way I could find to get rid of it was to close Excel and reopen it. What a pain.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing to cause it to appear and what I can do to get rid of it?

Thanks

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
it doesnt go away when you click on an empty cell outside the chart data?

Upvote 0
Hello Jennifer,

Here you go.

View attachment 48777
Aha! I must have clicked on that by accident.

However, I just clicked on it again, but when that dialog popped up, I was able to clear it with the Esc key, clicking on that Filter icon again, or clicking on any empty cell. When it happened before (2-3 times), none of those actions made any difference. If it happens again. I'll see if I can find that filter icon.

One other thing, when it happened before, the sheet behind it went faded. It was the sdame look I got when using xl2bb on a sheet with named ranges that were entire columns. But this time, I was able to close Excel workout it having to restart. Anyway, I think it must be something more than just clicking on that filter icon by accident.

PS: I'm marking this solved pending it happening again and clicking on that icon not working.

Upvote 0
Tried to do some research but not sure I am any the wiser.
Just curious, the 2 statements below seem to contradict each other.
If the "sheet behind it went faded", doesn't that mean you couldn't click anywhere else in that sheet.
If that was the case could you still access the immediate window, and perhaps try "?activeworkbook.name" to see if it was still actually recognised as the activeworkbook.
If it was still the activeworkbook would it have let you type Range("A2").select, to see if it would deactivate chart and close down that Chart Filter.
It actually sounds more like Excel locked up on you.

Let use know if it happens again.

No, I clicked everywhere. It would not go away.

One other thing, when it happened before, the sheet behind it went faded

Upvote 0
Tried to do some research but not sure I am any the wiser.
Just curious, the 2 statements below seem to contradict each other.
If the "sheet behind it went faded", doesn't that mean you couldn't click anywhere else in that sheet.
If that was the case could you still access the immediate window, and perhaps try "?activeworkbook.name" to see if it was still actually recognised as the activeworkbook.
If it was still the activeworkbook would it have let you type Range("A2").select, to see if it would deactivate chart and close down that Chart Filter.
It actually sounds more like Excel locked up on you.

Let use know if it happens again.
If I recall correctly, when it first happened, the sheet looked normal. I could move the cursor around and I could hot key to other apps. I had a couple of Excel books open, but all of them seemed "locked". %hye second time is when the sheet behind cjart filter went faded.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back