what is wrong with this code??

djpeter

Board Regular
I am trying to make a dynamic chart, here is my code, And I do not want an a website reference, i want to know what is wrong with my code and how to fix it.

=SERIES('WCM MC'!$A$29:$B$29,'Monte Carlo '!rngdates,'Monte Carlo '!ssninety,6)

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
You haven't actually said what your problem is, or what those ranges refer to. Also, does your 'Monte Carlo' worksheet actually have a space at the end of 'Monte Carlo '?

Upvote 0
Yes there is a space at the end of monte carlo, the ranges refer to dates and numbers, and the problem is i get different errors depending on how i change that code.

Upvote 0
Are those names defined locally to the monte carlo sheet? If not, they would normally be prefixed with the workbook name rather than a sheet name. Other than that the formula (not code) looks syntactically fine but unless you tell us what your actual error is, it's hard for us to pin down. It would also help if you gave the definition of the two names rather than just saying that they refer to dates and numbers.

Upvote 0
I was getting an invalid reference error. And no they are of workbook scope. Also, the rngdates refers to dates like 2008 etc. and the numbers are just seven digit numbers in a column.

Upvote 0
Then try using:
=SERIES('WCM MC'!$A$29:$B$29,'workbook_name.xls'!rngdates,workbook_name.xls'!ssninety,6)
For the range definitions, I was interested in the formula you are using to determine the ranges, not what's in the ranges. As you said it was a dynamic chart, I thought you would be using dynamic range names (i.e. defined using OFFSET or INDEX formulas, rather than straight cell references)

Upvote 0
No that should be fine as long as the OFFSET formula is correct.

Upvote 0
So would this be correct?? --
=SERIES('WCM MC'!$A$29:$B$29,'WCM_Monte_Carlo.xls'!rngdates,WCM_Monte_Carlo.xls'!ssninety,6)

Actually, I found that I have to do it this way, but i keep getting an invalid reference error:

=SERIES('[WCM Monte Carlo.xlsm]WCM MC'!$A$29:$B$29,'[WCM Monte Carlo.xlsm]Monte Carlo '!rngdates,'[WCM Monte Carlo.xlsm]Monte Carlo '!ssninety,6)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is the data in the same workbook as the chart? Any chance you could post a stripped down copy of the workbook somewhere or mail it? I'll have to double check the 2007 syntax later on, but it might still be useful to see the OFFSET formulas. (I'm assuming you do have 6 series of data)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rik81h

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back