What Sort of Analysis do I require?

lee_alkureishi

Board Regular
Hi all,

I'm new to data analysis and statistics in general, and was looking for advice on what sort of analysis I require (I'm currently working in excel/SPSS):

My population is made up of 200 cases (each representing a surgical operation). More than one operation may have been carried out on the same patient (a patient may have had between 1 and 10 operations).

I want to determine the effect of smoking as a risk factor for requiring a further operation. For each operation, I have data on the "time to next event", and whether that "event" was another operation or the study end-date.

I had planned to use Kaplan-Meier survival analysis, but was told recently that this wouldn't be correct (due to the fact that several of the operations may have been in a single patient, leading to confounding factors...).

Is there another type of analysis I can carry out, that will give me what I need? Or, can anyone point me to a more appropriate forum where I can post this query?

Thanks in advance,

Leeko

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back