What version of Excel is the best one?

Chris Stamford

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everyone! I'm Chris and I am almost a complete beginner in using Excel. I want to start learning it, and it would be great to hear the thoughts of Excel MVPs about what version of Excel would be the most appropriate to start

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Assuming you didn't really only want Excel MVP's thoughts, then if you don't already have a version, I can't see any particular reason not to just get a 365 subscription.

I agree that the latest version would be the best one to get, to ensure that you have all the latest/greatest features.
And there is no sense on learning on an old version that will be soon out-dated (if not already).

The nice thing about the subscription too is that it will keep you up-to-date on all updates.

You are welcome!

Excel 365 has all the greatest new bells and whistles and is the way to go if you're mostly gonna be flying solo or only exchanging workbooks with others who have Office 365.

But you want to think about those with whom you are going to be exchanging or sharing workbooks. New functions, new operators (for example the implicit intersect operator [@]), or other new goodies — while fantastic — aren't going to do you much good if workbooks you send to others are not compatible with their version Excel and you have to go back and rework them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back