What would be the VBA code to move to the next column after Enter but NOT after Tab?

Michelle Lea

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have the following code to run a macro that sorts column A after I hit the Enter key and keep the modified row selected. However, it also runs when I hit the Tab key. I don't want it to. Is there code that would run the macro when hitting Enter ONLY?

Thank you!

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

'If Target.Column <> 8 Then Exit Sub

' Sort_After_Enter Macro

Dim lngR As Long

Dim strV As String

If Target.Cells.Count > 8 Then Exit Sub

strV = Target.Value

Application.EnableEvents = False

With Me.ListObjects("ContactsTable").Sort

.SortFields.Clear
.SortFields.Add2 Key:=Me.Range("ContactsTable[[#All],[COMPANY (Contact)]]"), _
SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
.Header = xlYes
.MatchCase = False
.Orientation = xlTopToBottom
.Apply

End With

Target.EntireColumn.Find(strV, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole).Select

ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Activate

Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

-----
Sub ResetEvents()

Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Welcome to the Board!

That code will run automatically any time a cell is manually changed, regardless of how you move to the next cell.
If you only want the code to run at a certain time, maybe it would be better to put a button on the page that the user could click to run the code only when they want it to.
See here: Assign a macro to a Form or a Control button - Microsoft Support

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

That code will run automatically any time a cell is manually changed, regardless of how you move to the next cell.
If you only want the code to run at a certain time, maybe it would be better to put a button on the page that the user could click to run the code only when they want it to.
See here: Assign a macro to a Form or a Control button - Microsoft Support
I was trying to avoid doing anything manually, such as clicking the column header to sort or clicking a button, hence the auto-run of the Sort_After_Enter macro. Is there no way to code it so that it runs only after hitting the Enter key, not just whenever something is changed?

Upvote 0
I think you would have to use something like "OnKey", as shown in post 4 here: Run Macro if Enter is Pressed & in a certain row

I have never used that before. "Worksheet_Change" runs when data is manually entered, regardless of which key is used. Excel doesn't really care which key you used to enter the data.

Upvote 0
I think you would have to use something like "OnKey", as shown in post 4 here: Run Macro if Enter is Pressed & in a certain row

I have never used that before. "Worksheet_Change" runs when data is manually entered, regardless of which key is used. Excel doesn't really care which key you used to enter the data.
Could I run an If-Then statement? Such as If tab key is pressed, Then don't run the macro, Else If enter key is pressed, run the macro?

Upvote 0
I am not sure. I never use "On Key".
Perhaps you can use the method shown in post 3 here. Just Change the "UP" references to "ENTER": Run Macro on Keypress

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camelliaCase

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back