What's the best approach here? (Data Acquisition)

mardipraxes

Hey, I'm a beginner at excel but I was tasked with refurbishing our budget template. It's a construction company and in the budget we describe what we're doing and what materials we use and price it by units, square meters etc..

The thing is we use a lot of materials, and looking them up by hand sometimes it's too much work, I've recently got a price table of most of our materials but I have no idea how I should approach this basically I'd like a function or something that would work like a search engine, for example I'd search for bricks and I could choose the type of brick I want and the return would be the price of it.

If you guys want more info or clarification on this I can give you, but the gist of it is, I wanna ease the find of materials price, so if you know a better way to work this out I'm all ears.

David

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
let say your price table is in Columns A & B, like this

Excel 2012
ABCDE
1materialspricematerialsprice
2M110M880
3M220
4M330
5M440
6M550
7M660
8M770
9M880
10M990
11M10100
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E2=VLOOKUP(D2,A:B,2,0)

the vlookup() formula in cell E2 will look up the material in D2 (in this case M8) from the table A:B and report the price in Column B (as 2 in =VLOOKUP(D2,A:B,2,0)). the 0 at the end forced the function to find an exact match.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
let say your price table is in Columns A & B, like this

Excel 2012
ABCDE
1materialspricematerialsprice
2M110M880
3M220
4M330
5M440
6M550
7M660
8M770
9M880
10M990
11M10100

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet3

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
E2=VLOOKUP(D2,A:B,2,0)

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

the vlookup() formula in cell E2 will look up the material in D2 (in this case M8) from the table A:B and report the price in Column B (as 2 in =VLOOKUP(D2,A:B,2,0)). the 0 at the end forced the function to find an exact match.

VLOOKUP also works if the info is in another excel file, and if it does do I have to specify the sheet?

If it doesn't work I'll just copy the info into a new work sheet and go from there, the problem is that it's a lot of materials, at least 100 pages of information.

Thanks for you answer, it was really helpful!

Upvote 0
yes, it should work on another excel file as well.

if you have 100+ pages it's probably better to consolidate them onto 1 sheet but I'm sure you're going to say the tables are live and keep updating in regular intervals

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back