What's the best database software for those applications that are not right for Excel?

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Spreadsheets are perfect for many applications, but some of the ones I have been trying to shoehorn into Excel have me writing complex formulas or macros, with a lot of help from the gurus on this board, are really database applications and should be so implemented.

I see a lot of options for database software. There is always Access, which I have as part of my Office 365 subscription. But it has all of the quirks and gotchas of all M$FT products, perhaps the most of any.

There are several companies that offer cloud-based database software that looks very good. And having the data in the cloud is a plus if I want to share with friends or family. But the prices, usually $10-$30/month/user, are a little too high for my needs. I am happy to pay a reasonable cost, but not hundreds of dollars/year.

Google has database software, but it keeps changing. I played with Google sheets a bit, but it was even more quirky than Excel.

I would love to hear recommendations. Here are my priorities:
  1. Easy to use
  2. Support forum
  3. Reasonably priced
  4. Cloud based (meaning I can allow others to view and/or edit the data)
Thanks

PS: I didn't put this in the Access section because I wanted opinions from people not necessarily using Access. If it should have gone there, feel free to move it.

PPS: I am happy to post the results of my search.

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Worth looking at, if you want something quite straightforward and robust: SQLite

It really depends on your requirement though, so be sure to check out the How to use page.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back