What's the correct way to share macros in secure environments?

rhelm

I'm a fairly new Excel user but I've been actively creating formula's for my work mates. I would like to also share with them some saved Macro's that I keep in the 'Personal.xlsb'.

My company has pretty strict security policies, so I'm hesitant to start asking anyone to change their Trust Center macro settings.

So I'm wondering if there is a recommended easy/safe way to make these available for my colleagues? For example, if they're Trust Center settings are locked for Macro's, could they still import one my exported .bas files and use it without having to change their files to .xlsm? :confused:

Regards,
rhelm

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
- Copy the relevant modules to a new Excel file (you can simply drag them in the project explorer window in the VBA Editor).
- Then save-as the new Excel file, first as xlsm, after than as an add-in (xlam).
- Place the add-in in a location your colleagues have access to.
- Tell them to open the Add-ins dialog and browse to your add-in.
- Let them click No if asked to copy the add-in to their local add-ins folder!
- Before telling anyone: Right-click the add-in file in the shared location, choose Properties and set it to read-only. By doing so you can simply replace the add-in file when an update is there (don't forget to set it to read-only again!) and notify your users to reboot their Excel.

Upvote 0
jkpieterese,
Could I trouble you to clarify this section: "after than as an add-in (xlam)."
- Then save-as the new Excel file, first as xlsm, after than as an add-in (xlam).

Not sure I'm following that part. Save as a xlsm and then re-save as an xlam??

Regards,
rhelm

Upvote 0
I always prefer to edit the xlsm file rather than the xlam. When I'm done updating and testing I save-as the xlsm (to a new file) and then save-as the xlsm to xlam.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back