What's wrong with my code?

Jlombard_

Hi guys,

I've been building some code for a spreadsheet which has a whole host of individual weighted words.

When a user types in a particular sentence into the (Sheet: tester) "Search_box1" field, upon clicking a button I want each word in "search_box1" to be referenced in a separate sheet called "weighting" (Column A3:A) - in column H there is a score for each word.

When the words have been found in the system I want them to be added together to form an overall grade of the sentence which will be displayed in a sheet called 'tester' (CELL REF: GRADE_VALUE).

At the same time, once the button has been clicked I'd want a copy of both the GRADE_VALUE and the Search_box1 cell logged into a sheet called 'history_search'. cells A2 onwards (GRADE_VALUE) and B2 onwards (Search_box1).

Currently, with the code I'm facing a mismatch but I'm not sure what the problem actually is (being new to things like this).

Capture.png

Image of code and error;
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1keaJ_VwO-yCbCe1Tq73go0AP7bXEpqdo/view?usp=sharing

Link to a similar sheet; https://drive.google.com/file/d/19z6ArPzzRQ2oSqnkFQ2LeTjcL3b5irLI/view

view

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Put code in code tags not an image. Im sure not going to type it out myself nor would many others i expect. What immediately looks wrong is you are matching on column A then using the match on on an index that also uses column A. That cant be right. If you are getting a mismatch then weight will need to be a number so change it to long.

Upvote 0
Can you copy and paste the code directly in the thread please then select the code and click the # icon to put code tags around it.

Edit: Oops steve the fish already got got there :( sorry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Put code in code tags not an image. Im sure not going to type it out myself nor would many others i expect. What immediately looks wrong is you are matching on column A then using the match on on an index that also uses column A. That cant be right. If you are getting a mismatch then weight will need to be a number so change it to long.

Code:
Public Sub test_subject05()

Dim inputString As String: inputString = "This is an example sentence"

Dim score As Long

' This splits the input string into words (here we assume they are only separated
    ' by spaces, you'd have to modify this to take punctuations into account).
    Dim words() As String: words = Split(inputString, " ")

' Loop through all the words we got
    Dim word As Variant
    For Each word In words
        ' Find where in the list our word is
        Dim match As Variant: match = Application.match(LCase$(word), word_weight.Range("A2:A40000"), 0)
        Dim weight As Variant

If IsError(match) Then
        weight = 0 ' word is not in weight sheet, do something
    Else
        ' Lookup word score using index we got earlier
        weight = Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(word_weight.Range("A2:A100000"), match)
        If IsError(weight) Then weight = 0
    End If

' Add the weight to the total sentence score
        score = score + weight
    Next

MsgBox "Sentence grade is: " & score
End Sub

Upvote 0
Can you copy and paste the code directly in the thread please then select the code and click the # icon to put code tags around it.

Edit: Oops steve the fish already got got there :( sorry.

Code:
Public Sub test_subject05()

Dim inputString As String: inputString = "This is an example sentence"

Dim score As Long

' This splits the input string into words (here we assume they are only separated
    ' by spaces, you'd have to modify this to take punctuations into account).
    Dim words() As String: words = Split(inputString, " ")

' Loop through all the words we got
    Dim word As Variant
    For Each word In words
        ' Find where in the list our word is
        Dim match As Variant: match = Application.match(LCase$(word), word_weight.Range("A2:A40000"), 0)
        Dim weight As Variant

If IsError(match) Then
        weight = 0 ' word is not in weight sheet, do something
    Else
        ' Lookup word score using index we got earlier
        weight = Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(word_weight.Range("A2:A100000"), match)
        If IsError(weight) Then weight = 0
    End If

' Add the weight to the total sentence score
        score = score + weight
    Next

MsgBox "Sentence grade is: " & score
End Sub

Upvote 0
Ok so what about what else i said? Did you alter it?

just to make sure I'm clear on what you said;

1) Move things from column A on the index (Have done so to column B)

2) "If you are getting a mismatch then weight will need to be a number so change it to long." - this bit I don't quite understand (quite new to a lot of this). Are you saying change it from "Dim weight As Variant" to " Dim weight As long?" - if so that still produced the same error.

Upvote 0
You need to change score from long to double
Code:
    Dim score As Double
And you also need to remove the worksheetfunction from the index line & change the column you're looking at
Code:
        weight = Application.Index(word_weight.Range("h2:h100000"), match)

PS Leave weight as Variant

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You need to change score from long to double
Code:
    Dim score As Double
And you also need to remove the worksheetfunction from the index line & change the column you're looking at
Code:
        weight = Application.Index(word_weight.Range("h2:h100000"), match)

PS Leave weight as Variant

You're my hero!

Instead of the pop-up msgbox if I wanted the grade to be displayed as a 1 decimal value (ie 6.5 as opposed to 6.5443452) and for it to be pulled into a merged cell called "grade" on the "tester" sheet what would I need to change?

Upvote 0
Although I have just noticed that upon clicking the cmd button the score is always the same regardless of the values i enter into the search_box1 field?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back