Whatsthe best way to tackle this? Macro maybe.

Vickster102

I would like some help please with regard to the following, query. I think that the solution would be to run a macro, but I really don't know where to start.

I have some data that has been sent out in the form of a questionnaire (approximately 1000 responses) the questionnaire is in a standard format. The information needs to be transferred into a master spreadsheet, which is not set up with the same format ie the columns may not be in the same order etc (I cannot change either spreadsheet !). I firstly need to identify which cells in the questionnaire relate to the corresponding cells in the master sheet. Once this has been completed, and I start receiving the responses to the questionnaire, I would like excel to identify the the cells and place the information in the respective cells on the master spreadsheet, obviously without overwriting the the data in the previous cells.

I can't really go through a process of copy and pasting the information as it is not in the same format and would be timely and error prone.

Any ideas?

Thanks, much appreciated.

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Sounds like you'd want a macro that goes in the personal workbook. This would allow it to be available every time you opened a response workbook.

Now if the data is always in the same format (that is, if the columns in the responses are always the same) your life is going to be a lot easier. Then, you just have to hard code the macro to "remember" which column the data is in in each book (response and master). Then, you'd want to automatically detect the last filled-in row in the master book. From there, you just need to run a copy/paste code to start filling in at the first open row.

Does that sound like what you're looking for?

Upvote 0
My input would depend upon how well structured your questionaires are. No need for me to guess. Please post the relevant details about your questionaires such as the range addresses of user responses, orksheet names, ect... A screen shot would be nice. A sample questionaire would be great. If you are unable to provide a URL for a screenshot or sample workbook, do a Print Screen, paste it in your email client, and then email it too me and I'll post it for others to see. If you can, attach the workbook in the email. In any case, you can automate this one or the other without much difficulty...
tom@jantomsolutions.com

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back