When I close linked spreadsheet I get #REF! Error

kjuran

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

So, here is my issue. I have to spreadsheets linked by (1) using a concatenate/match function (i.e. CONCATENATE("k",MATCH(I38,'K:\Kayla \[Copy of Data - Exp 1.xlsx]Data (2021)'!$C$4:$C$787,FALSE)+3) and (2) using the indirect function to display the data from the cell given from the previously stated function. However, when I close out of the document that my data is sourced from, the cells that use the indirect function in the destination sheet start showing the error #REF! . Is there a workaround for this so that the sheet can function even when the source sheet is closed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
INDIRECT references to an external file require the external file to be open, or it returns REF#. The workarounds all require VBA. There are multiple approaches:

1. Use INDIRECT.EXT which is an add-in available in various places. It is used just like INDIRECT but under the covers it open the file. It is not commercial so I'm not sure where it is currently available. I may have a copy.
  2. Write code that creates your formula when the data changes. Then the file will not have to be open at all.
I can help with this but would need all the details about your formulas. The ideal would be to share your file on a file-sharing service.

Upvote 0
Here is essentially what I have. What do you mean by option 2? Could you be more specific?

Attachments

• Book1.png
    Book1.png
    5 KB · Views: 8
  • Book2.png
    Book2.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 9
Upvote 0
INDIRECT references to an external file require the external file to be open, or it returns REF#. The workarounds all require VBA. There are multiple approaches:

1. Use INDIRECT.EXT which is an add-in available in various places. It is used just like INDIRECT but under the covers it open the file. It is not commercial so I'm not sure where it is currently available. I may have a copy.
  2. Write code that creates your formula when the data changes. Then the file will not have to be open at all.
I can help with this but would need all the details about your formulas. The ideal would be to share your file on a file-sharing service.
Nevermind, I just used the VLOOKUP function and it worked!

Upvote 0
I see no way that what you described can be solved by VLOOKUP. Can you share the formula that ended up working for you?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back