When I copy horizontal data How do I paste it Horizontally in Excel?

tomw5191

I am currently trying to paste some financial data from awebsite into Excel. However, each time I paste it even when I highlight a numbercells I wish the data to be displayed in horizontally it proceeds to paste itvertically. This is a very basic question but I am new to using Excel and I amstill trying to figure a lot of it out.

I have tried using the transpose feature on the pastespecial setting to see if that works but that option is not available whenselecting the paste special feature. The only options I am given are thefollowing:
· HTML
· Unicode Text
· Text
I think I am going about it completely wrong.

Any help will be appreciated greatly.

Many thanks

Tom

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
the transpose option is available in the manual mode for PasteSpecial. When the small box appears with the PasteSpecial options, click the words 'Paste Special' at the bottom of the box and a new option box will appear with the Transpose option shown.

Upvote 0
the transpose option is available in the manual mode for PasteSpecial. When the small box appears with the PasteSpecial options, click the words 'Paste Special' at the bottom of the box and a new option box will appear with the Transpose option shown.

When I click the past special box the following window is presented to me:

ZWp08.png

As you can see there is no transpose option?

Any further help you can offer will be appreciated greatly. The only think I want to do is to paste my data horizontally and not vertically which is what the paste option keeps on doing by defult.

Many thanks

Tom

Upvote 0
OK, you must have an earlier version of Excel than I have. You can use VBA to do the job. Just substitute the sheet and range refernces to suit your needs.
Code:
Sub t()
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:A10").Copy
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("K1").PasteSpecial xlPasteValues, Transpose:=True
Application.CutCopyMode = False
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for the response. I appreciate the time and effort you have put in to reply to my question, but this response does not make any sense to me.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the response. I appreciate the time and effort you have put in to reply to my question, but this response does not make any sense to me.

I just offered an alternative way to copy and transpose data. If you are not familiar with VBA code and its use, then just ignore the post. You should post the version of Excel you are using so we know the type of displays you are dealing with. I tried to find a tortorial with the version you have but was unable to do so. Perhaps someone else with the same version of Excel could help you if they knew what version you are using.

Upvote 0
I just offered an alternative way to copy and transpose data. If you are not familiar with VBA code and its use, then just ignore the post. You should post the version of Excel you are using so we know the type of displays you are dealing with. I tried to find a tortorial with the version you have but was unable to do so. Perhaps someone else with the same version of Excel could help you if they knew what version you are using.

Once again thankyou for the effort you have gone through to help me. It means a lot. Yeah I currently know nothing about VBA code but will look into it at somepoint. I am using the following if this helps at all: Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016. Version 1901 (Build 11231.20174). I presume this means I am using Microsoft Office 2016.

Upvote 0
OK, I have been looking a littl more for possible solutions, and the only thing I could find that resembles the screen shot of your dialog box was for a MAC which coincidentally was using Excek 2016. Unfortunately, it did not provide any solutions to the problem. I am totally unfamiliar with Apple products, so if that is what you are using, then it is beyound my expertise. Sorry. JLG

Upvote 0
Well I could not get my screenshot to post on here for some reason so I got one of google. However it was exactly the same as what mine does.
I am using a Windows compute so that is a little strange how mine is acting in such a way. Thanks for your help once again.

Upvote 0
If you are using PC then you should be able to access the Transpose option in the PasteSpecial facility from the ribbon. Have you checked you settings while in Excel by going to File|Options|Advanced and making sure that all appropriate boxes are checke for Cutting, Copying, Pasting, etc.? Although I did try unchecking some boxes to see if it would display the same type dialog box and it did not. I cannot duplicate that condition on my 2013 version. Also, do you get the same display if you manually6 select6 a range, copy, then select a destination and right click to select the PasteSpecial option from a pop up menu?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back