When in Full Screen mode, Windows taskbar sits atop Sheet tabs

Goodwin

Problem encountered on Excel 2000 and 2003

I've spent a great deal of time trying to figure out why, when I'm in Full Screen mode, my Windows taskbar sits atop Excel's sheet tabs. Since I never use Full Screen mode, I never noticed this, but an app I'm developing takes advantage of the benefits of Full Screen mode (i.e., hidden toolbars).

My Windows taskbar is normally locked, and I do not have "Auto-hide the taskbar" checked. I noticed that, if I unlock my taskbar, then re-lock it, the Full Screen mode gets resized to the proper height. While I've found a couple threads on this and other forums, I couldn't find any real resolution. Any help would be much, much appreciated.

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Why not just hide the toolbars?

Code:
Sub HideCommandbars()
Dim cBar As CommandBar
For Each cBar In CommandBars
     cBar.Enabled = False
Next cBar
End Sub

Upvote 0
A fair solution, Peter. However, the idea with the Full Screen mode route is that I don't mess with the user's toolbars. I guess I could track what they had visible, but it seems the Full Screen mode route is the more elegant solution. Nevertheless, I'm still curious as to why my Full Screen mode doesn't size properly. The other threads I found on this issue, in addition to lacking any real resolution, were quite old (early to mid 2000s), so I was hoping someone might know something different all these years later.

Thanks for your quick reply, by the way.

Upvote 0
Having the exact same problem.

Using Windows 7.

Can't believe this problem even exists - you'd think the excel team would test the full screen function and resolve the issue.

Anywayz tried the code given above --- works a treat in excel 2003, but doesn't work in excel 2007/2010. It just hides the add-in toolbar - not the ribbon.

Can anyone provide some code that will hide the command bar and/or ribbon upon opening the workbook and then restoring excel to display them when it is closed?

Upvote 0
Try

Code:
Application.ExecuteExcel4Macro "Show.Toolbar(""Ribbon"", false)"

Change False to True to restore.

Upvote 0
I had to google this a few times to get the answer to this...just wanted to share since this is the only thing that worked for me:

Step 1: Close all your windows explorer windows. Run Task Manager(Typing Ctrl-Alt-Del->Task Manager is one way). Go to the "Processes" tab. Sort by 1st column "Image name". Look for explorer.exe in the 1st column. (You can also close explorer.exe on the Details Tab). Select this and click End Task and confirm to delete. Task bar would now become invisible.

Step 2" In task manager, Go to "File - New Task(Run)" and type explorer.exe and click Ok. The taskbar should reappear and Your problem with the excel window getting behind the task bar should go away.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rik81h

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back