When there's a VB error, why won't any macros run again unless I close and reopen the workbook?

Ironman

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
This is a long-standing issue I've had and have always just accepted it's "one of those things with Excel".

Whenever I run a new bit of code and it errors, the calculation method always changes to manual. I then change the calculation method back to automatic. I also go into the code > Run > Reset.

But doing both of these things makes no difference - none of my macros will run until I close and reopen the workbook, which is pretty annoying.

Can anyone tell me if there's something else I should be doing to get macros to run, or is it just "one of those things with Excel" that I have to close the workbook?

Many thanks!

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
If the problem is with an event procedure (worksheet change, worksheet calculate, etc) then you have probably also set enableevents to false. If that is the case then it will not revert back to true on its own when the code is interrupted, you need to re-enable it with Application.EnableEvents = True in the immediate window (Ctrl g in the code editor).

Upvote 0
Ahhh, OK, thanks a lot Jason, that's been 'bugging' me for years.

I suppose by definition with all macros disabled then manually typing that line in there is the only way to restart them (yes, it's the worksheet_change event) or is there a shortcut?

Upvote 0
I suppose by definition with all macros disabled then manually typing that line in there is the only way to restart them
Not all are disabled, only events. You can still run manual procedures (To the best of my knowledge, there is no shortcut).Normally I would have this procedure saved in standard module for convenience to enable / disable events and calculation as needed. I find it useful to be able to switch them off easily if it is necessary to correct anything in the worksheet without the code firing.
VBA Code:
Sub toggleevents()
With Application
    .EnableEvents = (.EnableEvents = False)
    .Calculation = IIf(.EnableEvents = False, xlManual, xlAutomatic)
End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks Jason - does your code actually 'toggle' events on and off (as per its name)? If that's what it does then that's really useful.

Upvote 0
does your code actually 'toggle' events on and off (as per its name)?
It toggles both events and calculation based on the current state of events. If events are true then the code will turn both off, if events are false then it will turn both on.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hanakoro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back