Where does this file's custom ribbon tab come from?

muse43

Hi,

I am trying to replicate the behavior of an .xlsm file I have. When I open it, I have a custom tab showing. However, if I go into the "customize ribbon" section, it's not there. There also doesn't seem to be any macro running on the workbook open event. Also looked in quick access toolbars and there's nothing... how is this happening??? Any other ways of getting a custom tab to show up (just for that 1 file and on any computer it is opened on)?

Thanks!

PS
I'd attach the file but it's my first post and I don't see an option for attachments (??)

I've also posted this on another forum but no reply so trying here. Here's the link to my other post:
https://www.excelforum.com/excel-pr...s-this-files-custom-ribbon-tab-come-from.htmlom.html

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
You can upload the file to dropbox and then post a link beck here

Upvote 0
Home Button>>Excel Options>>Customize>>Choose commands from>>FCDPT Tab
Adjust as required.

Upvote 0
I am using Excel 2010. So I have no home button (I don't think anyway) but I do go to Options>>Customize Ribbon and then I have the drop down for "Choose commands from" but the FCDPT tab is not in there.

I know how to add a custom tab and command. It's just that when I do it, it doesn't transfer to another computer when I move the file. This one does. That's the behavior I'm after... thought this would show me how but I don't see it in there anywhere...

Upvote 0
I had one possibility that I could not rule out because I'm not familiar and I would have to build it just to find out if it the answer... but what about using Visual Studio to build a custom ribbon. Is it possible it's embedding XML files into the excel file? Here's a link that talks about something like that...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vi...tab-by-using-the-ribbon-designer?view=vs-2017

I've never worked in VS but would certainly be willing to start if I knew it was the right way to do this...

Upvote 0
but I do go to Options>>Customize Ribbon and then I have the drop down for "Choose commands from" but the FCDPT tab is not in there.

Ok look at Excel Options>>Customize>>Choose commands from>>custom Tabs

But it is in the location I mentioned in the file you uploaded to dropbox !

Upvote 0
Thanks RoryA, I am going to try that method today to see how it works. Was going to use Visual Studio as suggested in the link I posted above but will now take a look at your link's suggestion of using a custom UI editor.... should be interesting.

Michael M, I'm sorry but I don't have that custom tab in Customize.. maybe custom/embedded ribbon tabs don't show up in Excel 2010? I know if I make my own custom tab then YES, it shows up there. But like I said, it doesn't transfer with the file in that case. This one does. Thanks anyway for your help though.

Will post back with my results....

Upvote 0
OK final results are in... and the Custom UI editor works great!!! Was exactly what I was looking for. I can edit the ribbon of a particular excel file and the edits stay with the file on any machine. Now I can "Install" that file to have that tab show up on any machine (after installation) on any file (which was the ultimate goal all along).

Thanks again for all your help!! RoryA (aka rorya), you get extra props! lol. Cheers!

PS here's the link to the editor:
openxmldeveloper.org/blog/b/openxmldeveloper/archive/2006/05/26/customuieditor.aspx

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back