"Where Is It Wednesday" - Set Default Chart in Excel 2013: Podcast #1670

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Mar 20, 2013.
Creating a chart fast used to be a few steps. Excel 2013 shows no apparent way to Set a Default Chart - the button is actually hidden, but Bill shows us where it is. Follow along with Episode #1670 to learn the quick way to have a Chart in just a few clicks using Excel 2013.

Where Is It Wednesday is sponsored by "Microsoft 2013 InDepth" -- by Bill Jelen. Excel 2013 In Depth is the beyond-the-basics, beneath-the-surface guide for everyone working with Excel 2013. Excel expert and MVP Bill Jelen provides specific, tested, proven solutions to the problems Excel users run into every day: the types of challenges other books ignore or oversimplify. Jelen thoroughly covers all facets of working with Excel 2013. Amazon.com: Excel 2013 In Depth (9780789748577): Jelen, Bill: Books

"The Learn Excel from MrExcel Podcast Series"

MrExcel.com — Your One Stop for Excel Tips and Solutions. Visit us today!
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
MrExcel podcast is sponsored by Easy-XL.
Where is it Wednesday?
This is Excel 2013 edition of “Where is it Wednesday?” This is episode 1670: Set as default chart.
Hey welcome back to MrExcel netcast.
I’m Bill Jelen.
One of my favorite old tricks from Excel 2010 and earlier is we create a chart in a single keystroke.
So you choose the data Alt+ F1 but what chart do you get?
Well we control that with “Change Chart Type.” We can go in and choose a custom template and then say “Set as Default Chart.” Alright so if I set that as the default chart-- now in the future when I select that data, Alt+F1, I get that chart as the default instead of the standard clustered column chart.
Alright, great little feature.
Where is it in Excel 2013?
Alright so here's my chart.
I go to change chart type.
It’s on the design tab.
We have all these different charts and we even have the templates but there is no apparent way to set as default chart.
Where is it hidden?
It's hidden right here.
You have to right click one of these little thumbnails and choose set as default chart or if you're in a template right click and set as default chart.
So they've completely hidden the button.
You have to know to right click in order to use that so here let's use this one, set as default chart, click OK and then we will do our little test.
Select the data then Alt+F1 and we get that chart as the default.
It's a great feature, just much harder to find in Excel 2013 than in Excel 2010.
All right, well, hey I want to thank you for stopping by.
We’ll see you next time for another netcast from MrExcel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back