Where to start?

claybwagner

OK, I bought the bundle that contains pivot tables, charts and graphs, Bill's book, DVDs, etc. As someone who has a basic at best understanding of Excel, what book should I read first? I don't know what a pivot table, or a macro means. For me, my biggest accomplishment has been linking a formula from one worksheet to another. Yes a newbie. I love the podcast btw.
Thanks in advance for helping me take Excel to the next level!

Clay

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
I would start with Bills book. It's a great starting point for beginners. I took his class and have the book and it covers so many hints and tips that make life easier.

After that I would tackle the Pivot tables and macros.

Shaun

Leave macros well alone for the time being. Far better to get yourself up to speed with Excel's native functions. Get used to writing more complex formula and also each of the tools available. In the majority of cases you will find there is more than one way to achieve what you want and only with practise will you get your head around these methods. Often the best way to learn is to take a particular task that you've always done the same old way and see if you can figure out how to improve it.

Another thing I would do is read as much on this message board as you can. Look at some of the solutions that these folks here come up with. I have learned alot about different formula functions that I didn't know about, just by reading the boards. If you don't quite understand how or why something works, ask. I have done that numerous times even when I felt like the question I was asking was pretty stupid.

Lastly..Like Domski said..It is better to get yourself up to speed with the native functions..Macro's are great and eventually you will want to start using..but I have found that in a lot of cases, my long complex macro could have been solved easier with just a formula, if I just knew more of those native functions :)

Good luck :)

Shaun

If you have Learn Excel from MrExcel, start with the Wrangling Data section.

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back