Which is a better technique, More modules, few routines in each modules

mark hansen

As I trying to get my coding better, I've been searching for advice regarding which is a better technique. More Modules, each with a unique name referring to the (perhaps) one to five related modules, or fewer modules with more routines in each module.

I have figured out it's easier to have a "Basic stuff" module I put in every project with the commonly used routines and functions... But I was wondering about all of the other project specific code.

Thanks for any advice,
Mark

Joe4

MrExcel MVP, Junior Admin
Office Version
Platform
Windows
I think a lot of it is personal preference. I like to arrange my code into logical modules (what makes the most sense, from a logical standpoint). I often have a module named something like "Public Code", which is code I may use in multiple places in my other code (i.e. generic functions).

I think it is best not to bog down any one module with too much code (i.e. one module with 50 procedures!). Likewise, you wouldn't want 50 modules, each with one procedure each.

mark hansen

Thanks for the insight Joe, it's always helpful to have another view on things. I can certainly understand the excessive modules or procedures in modules...

Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linford

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• Problem with Radio Button's format control
    I am creating an employee evaluation template (a sample is below) Column A is the category Column B, C D, E and F will be ratings (unacceptable...
  • Last Display on userform to a Listbox
    [CODE=vba] lstdisplay.ColumnCount = 15 lstdisplay.RowSource = "A1:O600000" [/CODE] So when i do this it Displays everything on the sheet i am...
  • Rename and move files to a new location
    Dear all, I have an excel file with the following information. The actual file name is at column A but i want to rename it using the following...
  • Help with True/False Formula
    Hello! Am stumped how to fix this formula, in which my result returns 'True', but it should return False. =IF(AG2=True...
  • Clear extra characters from a provided range of cells
    Dear All, I have following code which gives me desired output to remove extra characters from a provided range. But it takes too much time when...
  • Help with Current and highest streaks
    Hi there, I've just joined the forum and this is my first post. I've already spent quite a bit of time searching the net and this forum for a...