Who And Where?

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Andrew

A film with older and nicer values, but still a good way to pass a couple of hours.

In terms of science fiction like this, I’m extremely sceptical. Would these simulations really go so far as to create an entire galaxy or even a whole universe simply for the “complete” experience to be enjoyed by our tiny insignificant selves for the benefit of some dude at a computer? Even our most outlandish efforts at creating simulated realities have very clearly defined borders within which the entire simulation occurs. Personally I wouldn’t find any entertainment in a game of Sims where I could check what was going on throughout billions of light years of empty space just because my little peeps on Earth need to believe that it exists.

I do admit, however, that it is a refreshing twist on an old theory in that, whilst we may remain part of a simulation, we still retain the ability to think freely and make our own decisions. But that doesn’t stop me thinking that it’s all a load of rubbish!! :LOL:

And if owners of the computers were anything like the millions of people immersed in virtual worlds like Second Life, SimCity and World of Warcraft, they’d be running simulations just to get a chance to control history — or maybe give themselves virtual roles as Cleopatra or Napoleon.
Soooo, we're all just objects in a sim being run by a George Bush of the future? Well, I reckon, that's as good of an explanation for W. gettin' into the White House as any I could concoct. :LOL:

In terms of science fiction like this, I’m extremely sceptical. Would these simulations really go so far as to create an entire galaxy or even a whole universe simply for the “complete” experience to be enjoyed by our tiny insignificant selves for the benefit of some dude at a computer? Even our most outlandish efforts at creating simulated realities have very clearly defined borders within which the entire simulation occurs. Personally I wouldn’t find any entertainment in a game of Sims where I could check what was going on throughout billions of light years of empty space just because my little peeps on Earth need to believe that it exists.

Then again, the fact that the people in the simulation believe that something exists outside the simulation means you don't actually have to simulate it. I only interact with YOU PEOPLE through this funny-looking box on my desk... for all I know, you are all part of the simulation.

Somehow, I'm reminded of The Truman Show... for the person inside the simulation there is no way to detect where the simulation ends and the special effects pick up.

My faith favors this...it may seem like pure drivel to some, but it's shorter and no less likely than the original subject posted:

One almighty being desired his creation to love him out of choice. He created a spendid environment for his favored creation: man. He created from man a helpmeet (companion) woman. He gave them the ability to choose a righteous life and pleasing relationship with Him, but also the ability to choose disobedience from His authority and death (the tree of the knowledge of good and evil).

They chose disobedience.

God loved them beyond their disobedience and chose a people to love and serve Him. He gave them laws to acheive righteous life and favor in His eyes. He gave them a method to roll back their sins from year to year and through that act find peace with Him.

Most chose disobedience.

God loved them still, and the rest of humanity as well, beyond their continued disobedience. He came to earth as flesh (Jesus) to bridge the gap by remitting the sinful nature instilled in all humans because of Adam and Eve's errant choice through His sacrifice at the cross.

He sent his Holy Spirit to guide their ways, give them comfort and convict their spirit of their evil ways.

Many still choose disobedience, and meanwhile He waits...

When He returns at His appointed time, there won't be a display that reads "Game Over" but the mighty sound of His judgement. Those that were disobedient could only wish that their existence blinked out, rather than the fate suggested in God's revealed scripture. :eek:

God's desire is my prayer for all...that none may perish, but that all will come to Christ.

Max

Somehow, I'm reminded of The Truman Show... for the person inside the simulation there is no way to detect where the simulation ends and the special effects pick up.

Until you go sailing and hit a wall!!! There must be some extremely good special effects given that no-one has ever hit the limits of this "simuation" and neither has anything which we've sent out across the cosmos. The fact that we continue to prove our own scientific theories based on events big and small, on Earth and beyond, suggests to me that there are far too many things to bother including in a simulation to make it in any way likely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back