Who is in the spreadsheet?!?!

dms37

Board Regular
Hi all,

I'm not even sure if this is possible but it's been annoying me for an age at work. There are numerous spreadsheets on the networked drives where I work and quite often I need to edit some information but the required sheet is locked for editing because a different user is in it. In general this is OK because a lot of people have their MS user details set to their name (in the options settings of Excel, Word and the like).

The problem arises when someone has it set to the default (the company name) and keep it open for long periods.

Basically, is there a way to find the windows user name given by Environ("Username") of a specific document using VBA - or any other method come to that.

Thanks

Dave

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
One method I used here, which probably isn't the best one was to have a sheet called "accesslog" which recorded every Environ("Username") within Col A and then saved on entry.

Probably not the best solution, but it proved useful.

Upvote 0
Yeah. I've done that before for a different problem - unauthorised access. This is more to just show who it is so I can email them and ask them to save and close it so I can get on with what needs doing.

Thanks for the input though, appreciated.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b1step2far

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back