Whole Division

Karlos1001

Hi.
I need a way to divide-up an area exactly after user input. If an answer exists, once I know how to divide say the width, I can use the same solution to divide the height. In that case I'll concentrate here on the width only.

• The user puts in a width of say 11300mm [11.3 meters], I then need to divide that by a maximum with, say 2000mm [2 meters].
• Obviously that doesn't fit exactly coming to 5.65 and I need a whole number, thus I then need excel use a figure under my maximum of 2000mm until dropping about 1883mm, it gives me the whole number of 6 rather than 5.65.

I'm no expert with Excel but I do use things like LOOKUP, VLOOKUP, IF, ISNU, validation list and things like that.

I'm doubting if excel can help me with this, but I thought I'd ask here before I ask the user to input more data.

Basically this is to divide the area of a flat roof into lead bays, and as lead bays have a maximum size, I need a way to calculate how many bays there are vertically and how many there are horizontally off user input (width & height).

In Christ, Karl.

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Please can someone help me with conditional formatting. i tried to combine several formalae but i dont realy understand what has gone wrong. Here are the formulae i was trying to use. =AND(A1:A8>3,B1:B8=4) the two work separately but when i combine them they fail. in fact nothing happens. my columns A1 to A8 contain the numbers 1 to 8 while 4 and 2 are altinated through B1 to B8 and i am trying to apply this rule on C1 to C8 such that when column A has a value greater than 3 and B has 4 we the colour in Red and when B has 2 we colour in green. thank you in advanced.

Upvote 0
How about

Sheet2

AB

<tbody>
</tbody>

Spreadsheet Formulas
CellFormula
B1=ROUNDUP(A1/2000,0)

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Hi VOG,

Yes, on this occasion that will give me the whole number of 6... but the figure I need is the division value, which in this case is 1883.

Thus I need Excel to divide a the user data by the nearest figure under my maximum of 2000mm, to give me a whole number... which in this case is 6 but another something different.

So...
A). The user puts in a figure
B). Excel divides it into section under my maximum value [here 2000mm) and gives it to me
C). And by that I'm also informed of how many divisions there are (here 6 but with other user data varying values.)

Maybe I could use the rounded-up whole number to divide the user data, then I might have the figure B, Could that work?

Yes it works, they say its good to talk! Just talking this over with someone else seems to have given me a solution... maybe not the best but a solution... still maybe someone else has an even better one.

In Christ Jesus, Karl.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Please can someone help me with conditional formatting. i tried to combine several formalae but i dont realy understand what has gone wrong. Here are the formulae i was trying to use. =AND(A1:A8>3,B1:B8=4) the two work separately but when i combine them they fail. in fact nothing happens. my columns A1 to A8 contain the numbers 1 to 8 while 4 and 2 are altinated through B1 to B8 and i am trying to apply this rule on C1 to C8 such that when column A has a value greater than 3 and B has 4 we the colour in Red and when B has 2 we colour in green. thank you in advanced.

You hijacker you, hijacking my thread! :) Still I think I have my answer here.

As to your issue, am I right in assuming that 'Conditional Formatting' relies on a TRUE or FALSE answer? And as you have wrapped them both in an AND... doesn't that nullify the logical arguments within?

In Christ Jesus, Karl.

Upvote 0
You hijacker you, hijacking my thread! :) Still I think I have my answer here.

As to your issue, am I right in assuming that 'Conditional Formatting' relies on a TRUE or FALSE answer? And as you have wrapped them both in an AND... doesn't that nullify the logical arguments within?

In Christ Jesus, Karl.
Sorry about hijacking your trend just got too worried about my issue. However i just hope someone helps me out on how to combine those rules. I realy need it.

Upvote 0
No problem...

But what if you wrap the AND in an IF? ... =if(AND(A1:A8>3,B1:B8=4,{Then do this},{Else do that})) {Curly brackets not part of formula}
At least then you will have a logical answer... TRUE OR FALSE.

In Christ Jesus, Karl

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danger_SF

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back