Why am I getting a circular reference error?

nirvehex

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I'm having trouble figuring out how to revise this formula to get rid of the circular reference error Excel is telling me I have:

Code:
=IF(OR(F2="Y",AN2<=6),AQ2,IF(AND(O2="N",SEARCH("Open",D2),AQ2>=3),AQ2,IF(AND(O2="N",SEARCH("Open",D2)),IF(AND(VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:B,2,FALSE)>=2,VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:B,2,FALSE)<=3,AT2="Up"),VLOOKUP('WOs (DSP Only)'!A:B,2,FALSE),IF(AND(VLOOKUP('WOs (DSP Only)'!A:B,2,FALSE)>=3,AT2="Up",AND(AS2=3,AT2="Up")),3,IF(AND(VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:C,3,FALSE)>=2,VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:C,3,FALSE)<=3,AT2="Up"),VLOOKUP('WOs (DSP Only)'!A:C,3,FALSE),IF(AND(VLOOKUP('WOs (DSP Only)'!A:C,3,FALSE)>=3,AT2="Up",AND(AS2=3,AT2="Up")),3,IF(AND(VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:D,4,FALSE)>=2,VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:D,4,FALSE)<=3,AT2="Up"),VLOOKUP('WOs (DSP Only)'!A:D,4,FALSE),IF(AND(VLOOKUP('WOs (DSP Only)'!A:D,4,FALSE)>=3,AT2="Up",AND(AS2=3,AT2="Up")),3,IF(AND(VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:E,5,FALSE)>=2,VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:E,5,FALSE)<=3,AT2="Up"),VLOOKUP('WOs (DSP Only)'!A:E,5,FALSE),IF(AND(VLOOKUP('WOs (DSP Only)'!A:E,5,FALSE)>=3,AT2="Up",AND(AS2=3,AT2="Up")),3,IF(AND(VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:F,6,FALSE)>=2,VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:F,6,FALSE)<=3,AT2="Up"),VLOOKUP('WOs (DSP Only)'!A:F,6,FALSE),IF(AND(VLOOKUP('WOs (DSP Only)'!A:F,6,FALSE)>=3,AT2="Up",AND(AS2=3,AT2="Up")),3,IF(AND(AS2=2,AT2="Up"),2,AQ2))))))))))))))

I believe it has to do where within the formula I am trying to set AS equal to a number to test a scenario. Any thoughts on how to revise?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
You haven't stated what cell the formula is in.

Upvote 0
heres one issue, you can not refer to the same cell as the formula is in -
AND(AS2=3,AT2="Up") is in the formula a couple of times
check through the formula and look for all occurrences of AS2 as a cell reference and change ALL of those

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So then, I'm trying to figure out how I can rewrite the formula where I have AS2=to something in the large nested if statement above. Because I'm trying to test AS2=3 in that statement multiple times. Can i just write =3? Any thoughts on how to rewrite?

This the line that needs help:
Code:
IF(AND(VLOOKUP('WOs (DSP Only)'!A:B,2,FALSE)>=3,AT2="Up",AND(AS2=3,AT2="Up")),3

Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
you can not have a formula in a cell and reference the same cell in the formula
hence the circular reference
AS3 cannot = 3 , as it will contain whatever the formula result is , but cannot give a result because its testing itself

Upvote 0
Thanks etaf. I get that. I'm just trying to figure out a different approach.

For this line, from the full code above,
Rich (BB code):
IF(AND(VLOOKUP('WOs (DSP Only)'!A:B,2,FALSE)>=3,AT2="Up",AND(AS2=3,AT2="Up")),3

If I manually type in a "3" into AS2, everything still functions. I'm just trying to figure out how to do it with code.

Upvote 0
where is the formula entered now? , it was in cell AS2 - so how can you enter a 3 into the cell if the formula is in it ?
not sure what you are trying to do now
we have answered this thread as to why you are getting a circular reference

Upvote 0
You are correct, you have answered the circular logic question. Should I post a new thread for figuring out better logic? Sorry, I'm just frustrated with myself on not being able to figure this out.

Upvote 0
Below is a sample file with my formula in L2, so you can see the whole picture. (I trimmed out columns so that is why the cells shifted from AS2 to L2).

Unique Key (A)Location ID (B)SID (C)Description (D)Designation (E)Currently Monitored (F)Test (G)Annual # of XXXX (H)Annual # of XXXX (I)Avg XXXX/XXXX (J)Current Days Between XXXX (K)Expected XXXX Per XXXX (L)Change In DBH (M)New Annual # of XXXX (N)Suggested Days Between Hauls (O)
Loc7508-2547404-40 Yards Open Top-TLoc7508254740440 OpenTNN4853.321.1180.00Up1821

<tbody>
</tbody>

Formula in column L:
Code:
=IF(OR(F2="Y",H2<=6),J2,IF(AND(G2="N",SEARCH("Open",D2),J2>=3),J2,IF(AND(G2="N",SEARCH("Open",D2)),IF(AND(VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:B,2,FALSE)>=2,VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:B,2,FALSE)<=3,M2="Up"),VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:B,2,FALSE),IF(AND(VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:B,2,FALSE)>=3,M2="Up",AND(L2=3,M2="Up")),3,IF(AND(VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:C,3,FALSE)>=2,VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:C,3,FALSE)<=3,M2="Up"),VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:C,3,FALSE),IF(AND(VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:C,3,FALSE)>=3,M2="Up",AND(L2=3,M2="Up")),3,IF(AND(VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:D,4,FALSE)>=2,VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:D,4,FALSE)<=3,M2="Up"),VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:D,4,FALSE),IF(AND(VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:D,4,FALSE)>=3,M2="Up",AND(L2=3,M2="Up")),3,IF(AND(VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:E,5,FALSE)>=2,VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:E,5,FALSE)<=3,M2="Up"),VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:E,5,FALSE),IF(AND(VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:E,5,FALSE)>=3,M2="Up",AND(L2=3,M2="Up")),3,IF(AND(VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:F,6,FALSE)>=2,VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:F,6,FALSE)<=3,M2="Up"),VLOOKUP(A2,'WOs (DSP Only)'!A:F,6,FALSE),IF(AND(A2,VLOOKUP('WOs (DSP Only)'!A:F,6,FALSE)>=3,M2="Up",AND(L2=3,M2="Up")),3,IF(AND(L2=2,M2="Up"),2,J2))))))))))))))

Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foxpro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back