Why can't I delete a defined name?

shawntanner

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but...
I've got a workbook that, when opened asks to auto link to another workbook which does not exist. I am trying to make the workbook stop prompting me for this. Of course, the VBA code is password protected by the person who created this and he is no longer with the company.
The name of the file is "Worksheet in Presentation" and the only reference I can find to it is the following defined name:

Name: Flow{then has a square next to it}
refers to: ='[Worksheet in Presentation]#REF'!#REF!

I've tried, of course, to select it and click delete, but nothing happens. There are many other names that refer to #REF that I can delete, but this one won't go away. (I'm guessing the square after the name means something, but I can't find out what.)

Questions:
1) Am I even on the right track to being able to bypass the autolink?
2) Why can't I delete that defined name?

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Thanks for this add-in. It looked like it was working, but the defined name is still there! It found the name and what it refers to, I selected it to be deleted and the wizard finished.
Anyone have an idea of what I should try next?
Thanks again for the add-in though.

Upvote 0
In general, if you want to bypass the box that asks if you'd like to update links, have a look at edit --> links --> startup prompt.

Upvote 0
I must be daft ... I opened the workbook, selected edit|links. There are only three choices that I can click on: Update Now, Open Source and Change Source. How do I find startup prompt?
By the way, I was able to get the password to VBA for this workbook, but I found no reference to "Worksheet in Presentation".

Thanks again for any guidance!

Upvote 0
shawn

Why would you expect a reference to it?

What does the code actually do?

You can refer to the workbook the code is in using ThisWorkbook.

Upvote 0
I believe the startup prompt feature in edit --> links was introduced in Excel 2002. If you're using an earlier version, I think the only option you have is "ask to update links", which will default to "update links" if you uncheck the option.

Upvote 0
It seems you're right:
Limitations of the Break Links command in Excel 2003 and in Excel 2002
Microsoft Office Excel 2003 and Microsoft Excel 2002 include a new feature that allows you to break external links within a workbook; however, the Break Links command cannot break the following types of links:• A defined name that refers to an external workbook
• A ListBox control with an input range that refers to an external workbook.
• A DropDown control with an input range that refers to an external workbook.

Anyone know how to get around it?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back