Why do some people use Plus Sign at beginning of formulas?

Captain Smith

I have noticed that a handful of people at work enter a formula as =+A1+A2 instead of the way I would enter it =A1+A2

What is the origin of the extra plus sign at the beginning? To me it seems to be unproductive and is simply not needed. I have been using Excel for over 12 years and have never needed to enter any formulas like that. Does this originate back to a much older version of Excel where it was once needed?

Just curious.
Thanks.

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
perhaps a question that has relevance is better suited for this use of cyber space. :D

Upvote 0
This is an Excel board and that was an Excel question. I have seen posts from people asking how to make a Football pool in Excel. To me that is not relevant at all. But to others it is.

Upvote 0
The "+" character is a backwards-compatible effort by Microsoft to accommodate formula entry by people who were former Lotus users, in long ago days when Lotus was the dominant spreadsheet program and MS was building their customer base.

Given the premise of the question being "why use it and why is it there", my understanding of the "+" character's genesis and existence in Excel formulas is rooted in compatibility with other programs. It's there because Microsoft was in a battle with Lotus and other programs some 15 years ago for spreadsheet marketshare dominance, and incorporated features like this for compatibility, just as REM and some BASIC statements are still supported in VBA.

Though the "+" character has a coercive effect in some formulas, one would typically not employ or be advised to rely on the preceding "+" as a general strategy for coercion before employing +0, *1, or --.

Most times when I see a formula with a preceding "+" character, it's composed by an ex-Lotus convert.

Upvote 0
Thanks J Ericson and Tom Urtis. Those were very relevant answers to a relevant question. Glad to see others who are relevant as I am. Your answers makes a lot of sense.

:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back