Why does just opening and closing a database modify it?

jasmith4

Whenever I open a database, even one with just one table and nothing else, and then immediately close it without even opening the table, the file's timestamp becomes the current time. I don't have Compact on Close or Remove Personal Information, so what's being modified?

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
I know nothing changes -- I've analyzed that ad nauseam. But why change the date? I have a system under version control (CVS) which includes MDB files, and obviously CVS reacts when the date changes. Why doesn't Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher or Visio do that? Excel, in particular, understands file-sharing, but if two people simultaneously open a workbook and make no changes, still its date doesn't change.

The only way I've found to prevent the date changing is to turn on the file's read-only attribute before opening it. Isn't there a better way?

Upvote 0
Is your database set to automatically open a form via AutoExec? Also, default values could cause that. For example if you have a table that has a Now() default value in like a timestamp or something, it's possible that is whats causing it. I'm sure you have checked that but if not, it could be worth a look.

Upvote 0
I right-click my desktop and choose New / MS Access database, and I note the create/modify time (which are the same). I open it, it gives me a macros-disabled notification, I check the options to see that Compact on Close and Remove Person Info are both unchecked, I Cancel the options dialog box and close the database. It still gets modified.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back