Why does my excel crash due to circular reference warning?

Confuseddotcom

Hi Mr Excel,

I have created a model and there is a row that is impossible to delete. When I try to delete it, the following error message comes up and I have to re-start Excel.

'Circular reference warning
One or more formulas contain a circular reference & may not calculate correctly. Circular referencing are any references within a formula that depend upon the results of that same formula. For example, a cell that refers to its own value or a cell that refers to another cell which depends on the original cell's value both contain circular references.'

The formula currently in the cells includes a =Hyperlink formula and an index match formula both to a separate tab in the workbook . The same formula is being used in the other rows and there are no issues.

To try and resolve this problem I have changed the formula calculation settings to ‘manual’, deleting the row/cells and am able to save the document. Then when it changes to ‘automatic’ the same ‘circular reference warning’ pops up.

Also selecting ‘Enable iterative calculations’ in the Excel Options – Formulas section also stops this issue, but again, the same issue arises when you then untick it.

Please help Mr Excel!

Confuseddotcom

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
i see Excel crashes when using Excel 32bit running on Windows 64bit OS.
is this the case?
can you find a PC on 32bit OS?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b1step2far

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back