Why Filter context does not apply ??

Arnaud81

Hi all,

I'm sure that one of you can help me :)

I have a pivot table :

Columns : Year and Quarters
Rows : Customers Beginning of Qtr & Customers End of Qtr

Measures :

BOQ:=CALCULATE([EOQ]; PREVIOUSQUARTER(Calendar[FullDate]))
EOQ:=DISTINCTCOUNT ( Sales[Customer name] )

Everythings works perfectly fine until I add a slicer with Months and make a selection to have QTD info
Suddenly BOQ & EOQ are not right anymore :eek:

Thank you for your help

Arnaud

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
How is it "not right"? If you select a month, then EOQ will simply calculate the number of distinct Sales[Customer name] visible in current context.

BOQ will calculate the number of distinct Sales[Customer name] for the entire previous quarter. (PREVIOUSQUARTER function returns all dates from the previous quarter, using the first date visible in the current filter context as reference for what current quarter is). Is this what you intended?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, EOQ behavior is exactly how I expected.
But with BOQ I was expecting that depending my selection of months (ex : JAN, FEB, APR, MAY, JUL, AUG,...) it would change the number of customers comparing to a full previous Qtr.
But giving your explanation about Previousquarter function then I understand better this behavior.
How should I change my measure to display the information I want ?

Thanks a lot !

Arnaud

Upvote 0
I am not clear on what you want to select with slicers and what results you are wanting. Can you give an example?

Upvote 0
What I would like to achieve is to have a pivot table with different kind of measures.
One of them being "Nb of customers at the beginning of the Quarter" which is in fact the same number than "Nb of customers at the end of the Quarter" for the previous Quarter.
I have a problem with "Nb of customers at the beginning of the Quarter" when I use a slicer "month" to simulate a QTD situation (Selecting only the 2 first months of each quarters for example) --> the 2 measures give different numbers. If I clear the slicer then the 2 measures give the same numbers (expected result).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocketslinger

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back