Why is formula calculating a blank cell?

Leandra

PROJECT DESCRIPTION:
I am making a time sheet. Rows 32 and above list the hours I have worked in a day. Each row represents a day. Each column represents a different castigatory (vacation time, hours, overtime, sick time, etc.). Row 34 lists the $ I earn for each category. I am using column M to determine how much $ I would make for that row's day. Column M is what I am having problems with....

PROBLEM:
Why does column M have a $ amount event if I have not yet entered in my hours? The function I am using is this:

M20=SUM(G20*G34)+(H20*H34)+(I20*I34)+(J20+J34)+(K20*K34)+(L20*L34)

This function works great after I put in my hours. But before I put in my hours, it has a $ amount. I would think it would show $0.00 considering it is multiplying by nothing.

GOAL:
I'd like for M20 to remain blank until I add my hours in G20, H20, I20, K20, & L20. How do I make this happen?Where am I going wrong in my formula?

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Try

​=IF(COUNT(G20:K20)>0,SUM((G20*G34),(H20*H34),(I20*I34),(J20+J34),(K20*K34),(L20*L34)), "")

if you want all 6 (did hyou miss J20 from your last paragraph?) boxes to have something before it shows any value change the >0 to =6

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes I did leave off J20 on my last paragraph. Sorry bout that...

Ok so I tried this. It still gives me a $ amount if I use >0, but if I use =6 then it is blank, like I want it to be. Only problem is I won't ever have all 6 boxes full since each box represents a different category. So I won't ever have sick hours and vacation hours and overtime hours all on the same row (row 20 in example). So how come it shows up blank when I use 6 but not when I use >0? Could it be because G20 and H20 have a function in them too?

G20 calculates the hours I worked with this function (which works perfectly):
G20=IF((((D20-C20)+(F20-E20))*24)>8,8,((D20-C20)+(F20-E20))*24)

H20 calculates my overtime with this function (also works perfectly):
H20=IF(((D20-C20)+(F20-E20))*24>8,((D20-C20)+(F20-E20))*24-8,0)

Would that have anything to do with M20 not working how I want it to?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back