Why is this file so large?

dheida

Got a time sheet file from one of our supervisors that is 14Mb. There are about 15 sheets with about 100 rows by 20 columns of data. There is some color and borders and some simple formulas for adding up time. I copied just one of the sheets into a new book and saved it and sure enough, it was about 750Kb. So, I deleted all the data in the sheet, saved it, and it is still 500Kb. I then did some paste specials only pasting certain things, and when I did "All Except Borders" the file size was as would be expected. Then I manually put the borders back in the small file and it stayed small. So, the main question, why are these borders causing the files to be so big? And second, why when I delete everything out of the sheet does the file stay big? Hopefully you can understand all that, thanks.

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
I would bet that someone formated entire columns or rows, that really bloats a file's size.
Some suggestions to keep file size down and reduce workbook slow-down.
Avoid the following:
Formats that extend over entire Columns, (65536 rows) or entire Rows, (256 columns).
Graphics, even if they are hidden.
Formulae that reference entire rows or columns.
Named ranges that are referenced from worksheets other than their own.

Upvote 0
I understand what you're saying but I even tried copying just the cells that had data in them (not all row/columns) and it would be large unless I didn't paste the borders.

Upvote 0
What kind of borders are you talking about?
Is it just a simple line around a range of cells or what?

Upvote 0
What kind of borders are you talking about?
Is it just a simple line around a range of cells or what?

Yes, thin lines between cells and thick lines separating large sections and the entire 100x20 section.

Upvote 0
Those sound like they might be graphics rather than simple cell borders. Like I mentioned in my first post, graphics can bload file size quickly.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
audette89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back