Why is this not counting using the countifs?

BadFish523

Board Regular
I have a large amount of raw data and have a graph to help visualize the important info. I made a couple tables to fill the charts but one of my countifs isn't working. This is my formula =COUNTIFS(Data!B2:B,"=Doug Harrison",Data!A2:A,TODAY()) but it always returns 0. B2:B is where the names are and A2:A is where the dates are. I only want the chart to display how many of that name appear for today only. Can anybody help?

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Are you using Excel or Google Sheets? Your range references are not valid in Excel.

Upvote 0
I've moved the thread to the appropriate area then.

My guess would be that your criteria simply aren't being met. Either the dates in column A include times, or the name field doesn't exactly match what you have typed.

Upvote 0
I've moved the thread to the appropriate area then.

My guess would be that your criteria simply aren't being met. Either the dates in column A include times, or the name field doesn't exactly match what you have typed.

Thank you for relocating. I didnt realize there was a Sheets section on the forum. I may try formatting the dates differently but I formatted them as MM/DD/YYYY with no times. They do get put in with times which is why I reformatted the whole column. I have also check and triple checked the spelling on both. I'm baffled. Again thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
I have also tried this with B28 being =Today() Still no luck. Any changes I could make to this one that might make it work? =countIFS(Data!A2:A,">="&B28,Data!A2:A,"<="&B28,Data!B2:B,"Doug Harrison")

Upvote 0
I have also tried this with B28 being =Today() Still no luck. Any changes I could make to this one that might make it work? =countIFS(Data!A2:A,">="&B28,Data!A2:A,"<="&B28,Data!B2:B,"Doug Harrison")
Just FYI this is the formula I used to find the count for the week except I used B29 and B30 which adjust for the start and end of the week based on B28.

Upvote 0

=COUNTIFS(Data!A2:A,">="&B28,Data!A2:A,"<="&B28,Data!B2:B,"Doug Harrison")

The formula is correct, but why do we have here >= B28 and <= B28 as this is equivalent to = B28?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back