Why No One Answers Your Question

Fluff

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
Good point Joe & seeing that I amended the title, there's a good chance I moved it.

Some videos you may like

MrIfOnly

I try and avoid homework questions but they're not always obvious. I also stay away from users who forget that this forum is a free service and the people on here are doing them a favour from the goodness of their own heart; "I need this today" doesn't work for me.

WBD
Along these same lines, it is very frustrating when you put effort into a solution for someone and never hearing any feedback. Just a quick note to say "thanks, that worked for me" or "appreciate the effort, but it wasn't what I was looking for" will play a major role in my decision to answer another thread of a question-poster.

Speaking of which, thanks to the OP for starting this thread!

Regards,

CJ

RoryA

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
365, 2019, 2016, 2010
Platform
Windows, MacOS
Thread titles like "URGENT!" or "Excel help" (no, really - in an Excel help forum??) or "This should be easy for you" pretty much guarantee I'm not going to look at the thread. If the OP can't take the time to at least give some idea of what the question is about, I probably won't take the time to read it. Of course, I am a narky old git... ;)

wideboydixon

Thread titles like "URGENT!" or "Excel help" (no, really - in an Excel help forum??) or "This should be easy for you" pretty much guarantee I'm not going to look at the thread. If the OP can't take the time to at least give some idea of what the question is about, I probably won't take the time to read it. Of course, I am a narky old git... ;)
Hear hear! Cantankerous is my middle name. Makes me laugh when posters put titles like "Tough problem" and it turns out to be a simple formula or a few lines of VBA.

WBD

Roderick_E

The responses are hilarious and true. Thanks so much for the feedback. I self-taught Excel VBA over a 15 year span before I knew about MrExcel. It's great to be in the presence of real experts...cantankerous or otherwise :)

RoryA

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
365, 2019, 2016, 2010
Platform
Windows, MacOS
My middle name is Curmudgeon because my parents were fancy.

My Aswer Is This

Office Version
Platform
Windows
I found this script on the internet. It's only about 100 lines of code and it does not do what i want. Can you fix it. With no explanation of what they want.

rlv01

@Roderick_E

5. Overusing the "newbie" card. Don't get me wrong, I'm sympathetic to an actual newbie, but when someone posts "I'm just a newbie, please help me" and I see that their post count is 339, well....

@Rick Rothstein
Re: "absolutely nothing"
It is kind of amazing how many posts assume mind-reading ability on the part of the people they are asking for help. In another context that pertains to my day job, I've referred to this as "problem-focused tunnel vision" and it is not unique to Excel/VBA programming

Roderick_E

I found this script on the internet. It's only about 100 lines of code and it does not do what i want. Can you fix it. With no explanation of what they want.
Yeah, that's a good one too. Plus not telling you where they found it.

Roderick_E

@Roderick_E

5. Overusing the "newbie" card. Don't get me wrong, I'm sympathetic to an actual newbie, but when someone posts "I'm just a newbie, please help me" and I see that their post count is 339, well....

@Rick Rothstein
Re: "absolutely nothing"
It is kind of amazing how many posts assume mind-reading ability on the part of the people they are asking for help. In another context that pertains to my day job, I've referred to this as "problem-focused tunnel vision" and it is not unique to Excel/VBA programming
Newbie after 339 posts sounds like a hustle and I don't like to be hustled...neither in pool (kinda like Billiards for you Brits reading) nor in Excel :)

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
t0ny84

This Week's Hot Topics