why this code opens two emails and reference isn't valid

hash993

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello everyone,

this code is working properly"ish" the only issue when it opens outlook it opens two new emails not one.
then pop up " Reference isn't valid " then a second pop up "click row number #"

VBA Code:
Sub addlinks()
    Dim lastrow As String

lastrow = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlDown).Row

For i = 3 To lastrow
        If Range("e" & i).Value <> "" Then

ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Add Range("Z" & i), Address:="", SubAddress:="CreateEmailWithHTMLBody()", TextToDisplay:="Run Macro"

End If
    Next
End Sub
Function CreateEmailWithHTMLBody()

Dim objOutlook As Object
    Dim objMail As Object

Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
    Set objMail = objOutlook.CreateItem(0)

With objMail
        .To = "recipient@example.com"
        .Subject = "This is the subject" 

'Set the HTML body of the email.
        .HTMLBody = "<html><body>This is the <b>HTML</b> body of the email.</body></html>"

.Display 'Display the email before sending it.
    End With

Set objMail = Nothing
    Set objOutlook = Nothing
    Exit Function
End Function

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Not sure I follow. If you get "Reference isn't valid" how can the sub be called at all, let alone twice (I get it if I click on the hyperlink, so email code is not called at all)?
Using xlDown, doesn't lastrow become over a million for you? It does for me. Good thing I always step into other peoples code rather than just run it. I suggest you put a break point on the email sub start and step through and watch all of the flow to see what calls it a second time.
FWIW, you don't need Exit Sub there.

Upvote 0
Not sure I follow. If you get "Reference isn't valid" how can the sub be called at all, let alone twice (I get it if I click on the hyperlink, so email code is not called at all)?
Using xlDown, doesn't lastrow become over a million for you? It does for me. Good thing I always step into other peoples code rather than just run it. I suggest you put a break point on the email sub start and step through and watch all of the flow to see what calls it a second time.
FWIW, you don't need Exit Sub there.
I didn't think you could call a sub with a hyperlink?
The code works just fine, the loop checks if there is data “in my case if there is email in column E” it will insert a hyperlink to send an email. If it’s empty it will stop.

But when i click the hyperlink it opens outlook new email twice. Then a popup “ saying reference isn’t valid “ when i click ok, another pop up saying “clicked row 3”.

What am trying to achieve is as below:
A link for each row to open email that contains some text and some values from cells from the same row. I have done using mailto formula/vba completely functioning but can’t seem to enter a table into it. So my next approach is email with html body.

Upvote 0
This seems to work for me
Address:="", SubAddress:=Range("M" & i).Address, TextToDisplay:="Run Macro"

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_FollowHyperlink(ByVal Target As Hyperlink)
If Target.TextToDisplay = "Run Macro" Then CreateEmailWithHTMLBody
End Sub
Hyperlink points to its own cell. Your way, it points to my file location.
I have data up to row E15 in a test sheet. I still don't see why I get over 1 million for lastrow and you don't. Anyway maybe add the sub as I've shown and change the subaddress & see what you get. I get only 1 email.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what the problem is but I would prefer to use event SelectionChange to run this macro rather than baking it into a hyperlink. I have never seen using a cell hyperlink to call a VBA Sub before.

Your code definitely sets lastrow to 1,048,576.
If it’s empty it will stop.
It doesn't stop. It iterates through all 1,048,576 rows and just skips the empty rows. You need to do this:
Rich (BB code):
    lastrow = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what the problem is but I would prefer to use event SelectionChange to run this macro rather than baking it into a hyperlink. I have never seen using a cell hyperlink to call a VBA Sub before.

Your code definitely sets lastrow to 1,048,576.

It doesn't stop. It iterates through all 1,048,576 rows and just skips the empty rows. You need to do this:
Rich (BB code):
    lastrow = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
macrotest.PNG

without changing the code it only inserts hyperlink where column E is filled.
and below shows that it opens the outlook email twice
two emails.PNG

and below is the errors

reference.PNG
rowclicked.PNG

Upvote 0
You have other code you are not showing us, because neither your code nor Excel displays a message that says "Row x is clicked." This is probably coming from event handlers in the worksheet module such as SelectionChange. And the answer to your problem is likely in that code. Please show all your code.

Upvote 0
You have other code you are not showing us, because neither your code nor Excel displays a message that says "Row x is clicked." This is probably coming from event handlers in the worksheet module such as SelectionChange. And the answer to your problem is likely in that code. Please show all your code.
full.PNG

this is the full code as shown in the beginning and its functioning. except its showing me the errors i took screenshot of.

Upvote 0
Posting code within code tags is preferred. Pictures are often too small to read code and no one can copy/paste to test.
You only get links where the other column is not blank as you say, BUT you are checking over a million rows with your way, so inefficient. Take out the IF and run it and you'll get over a million links.

If that's all the code you have in the whole project then I have no other suggestions, except I would take a look if you upload a copy somewhere.

Upvote 0
Posting code within code tags is preferred. Pictures are often too small to read code and no one can copy/paste to test.
You only get links where the other column is not blank as you say, BUT you are checking over a million rows with your way, so inefficient. Take out the IF and run it and you'll get over a million links.

If that's all the code you have in the whole project then I have no other suggestions, except I would take a look if you upload a copy somewhere.
The code is posted in the first post exactly the same.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back