Why will some results extend beyond cell boundaries and others will not?

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
In this example, the results in C6 & C7 will extend into the cells to the right if left-justified, but the results in C8 & C9 will not.

image.png

Why is that and is there a way I can get C8 & C9 to extend like C6 and C7 do? I have text wrap set OFF, but I tried it both ways.

If I merge C10 with D10, then the result is displayed. Is there a way I can get C6 & C7 to look like C10 without merging cells?

Thanks

What is this, national nitpick day?
Not really, you clearly asked how to do it without merging & judging by some of your previous posts, you would have attached anyone who suggested merging.

Regarding nitpicking, Jason did not suggest a solution that involved merging, he suggested centre across selection which is totally different.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Not really, you clearly asked how to do it without merging & judging by some of your previous posts, you would have attached anyone who suggested merging.

Regarding nitpicking, Jason did not suggest a solution that involved merging, he suggested centre across selection which is totally different.
Since this is nitpick day, change "attached" to "attacked".

Upvote 0
IMNSHO, the different way that text and numbers are handled in this situation is yet another of the endless examples of the lack of clarity and consistency on the part of the Office developers. I bet I spend about as much time looking up and dealing with all of the inconsistencies and quirks in Excel (and Word and PowerPoint) as I do actually solving the problem at hand. Where do I send the bill for that?

Text and numbers are distinct data types, maybe the developers have reasons you're not exposed to, to code and do what they need to do, as the people hired by Microsoft to work on the product and not yourself as an end-user?

Perhaps you can reframe yourself to be an beta-release tester and then understand the developers perspective and reasons?

Maybe it's to do with how operating systems interpret memory allocations for different data types and then the conversion from electrical signals to those needed to display visually what you think it should be?

Either way, it's harsh to attack developers for your perceived bug bears with their product you use.

Maybe you can switch to Google Sheets if you feel Excel is so utterly useless for not being able to display data types in a consistent uniform way (despite the fact they are not the same) instead of posting a question and then moaning about the responses because it doesn't fit with what you want, rather than what you can do about it?

Upvote 0
KISS approach, have you tried making column C wider, say 200 points wide?

Is it because it causes a problem when you print and that's why you can't make the column wider?

Upvote 0
Text and numbers are distinct data types,
At the machine level, yes. At the user level, not as much. At the machine (CPU) level, everything is binary. On the S/360 mainframes, there were/are CPU instructions for at least 3 types of "numbers": fixed point, floating point, and decimal. The fixed point numbers came in byte (8 bits), half-word (16 bits), word (32 bits), and double word (64 bits). The floating point numbers came in single precision (32 bits) and double precision (64 bits). On some models there was also a quadword version. The decimal numbers came in packed and zoned, both 1-16 bytes.

Some programming languages transmit all of that detail to the end user. The best of these are for programmers who need to know these differences for performance and precision reasons. Some of these require the user to "declare" the data type of each variable. This is tedious, but necessary for some applications, such as database work. Other "higher level" languages, shield the user (programmer) from most, if not all, of that detail in the interest of efficiency and portability.

IBM released two languages that shielded the user for almost all of the machine level detail. APL was (is?) a very interesting language that used a cryptic "language" requiring a special keyboard. REXX is a high-level language that allows the user to use numbers of any precision.

maybe the developers have reasons you're not exposed to, to code and do what they need to do, as the people hired by Microsoft to work on the product and not yourself as an end-user?
Yes, and some of those reasons may have more to do with the bottom line than the quality of the product. But it is the end-user that makes it all possible.

Perhaps you can reframe yourself to be an beta-release tester and then understand the developers perspective and reasons?
I have been a beta tester and an alpha tester and I worked as a software engineer for 30 years at another major software company that also released products with glaring holes and inconsistencies. But even without that experience, I think I have a right as a user to criticize any product I use and I will continue to do so whether you like it or not.

Maybe it's to do with how operating systems interpret memory allocations for different data types and then the conversion from electrical signals to those needed to display visually what you think it should be?
That is utter baloney.

Either way, it's harsh to attack developers for your perceived bug bears with their product you use.
Users have a right and a duty to criticize products. We'd be better off if more would do so.

Maybe you can switch to Google Sheets if you feel Excel is so utterly useless for not being able to display data types in a consistent uniform way (despite the fact they are not the same) instead of posting a question and then moaning about the responses because it doesn't fit with what you want, rather than what you can do about it?
I have used Google Sheets. It's better in a few ways, but much worse in many others.

You and others are not doing anyone, including yourself, any favors by attacking those who criticize faulty products. Woody published a 500 page book detailing the bizarre and frankly stupid bugs in Word -- many of which still exist.

ymmv

Upvote 0
KISS approach, have you tried making column C wider, say 200 points wide?

Is it because it causes a problem when you print and that's why you can't make the column wider?
I always try to employ the KISS approach as much as possible. But, as you point out, sometimes it is not possible or practical to make the column wider for many reasons.

Upvote 0
Ok that's all that needed to be said then!

You can't make the column wider, you asked about alternatives and then moaned about the suggestions given yet have very good technical know-how; so it's surprising you're complaining about each reply.

Yes it could be a bottom dollar line thing, but how many end users are bothered by this, given up and widen the column instead instead of demanding this product fix?
Needs of the many vs the few and all that malarky.

Alternatively, is the ROI for the developers to implement what you want a valid one?
Will putting this feature in lead to a substantial increase in sales of MS Excel?
Is it priority number 1 on the features request list?
If not, what reason do they need to implement this?

You posted the question on Monday but still wrestling with it today, is that a productive use of your time?

I think this is why people are trying to point out the problems/restrictions in what you're asking, but because its not the answer you want, it's creating frustration for you which is coming out a little bit in some of your replies - which others then react to especially if they've tried to help you.

For the example shown, it's not clear why you can't widen the column, even though this is not always possible in all cases.

Upvote 0
There is nothing wrong with being critical, if you can remember two important things:
1. Just because you do not agree with something does not make it a bug. Sure, you can bring it up and question it, but maybe the intentions or reasoning behind why something is the way it is is different than where you are coming from. That does not necessarily mean it is wrong or is a bug (it might well be, but it may not be).
2. To "disagree without being disagreeable". Criticisms can be made without having to be insulting (or make comments dripping with sarcasm). If the true intention is to get someone to listen to your complaints and maybe change something, present a well thought-out argument for your case, without lobbing insults. If you insult someone, they are more likely to hear the insult than your criticism, regardless of how valid your criticism may be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back