Why will some results extend beyond cell boundaries and others will not?

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
In this example, the results in C6 & C7 will extend into the cells to the right if left-justified, but the results in C8 & C9 will not.

image.png

Why is that and is there a way I can get C8 & C9 to extend like C6 and C7 do? I have text wrap set OFF, but I tried it both ways.

If I merge C10 with D10, then the result is displayed. Is there a way I can get C6 & C7 to look like C10 without merging cells?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Text will run into the next cell (as long as that cell is empty). Numeric values, including dates will not.

The only way to do it without merging is to use centre across selection (Ctrl 1, alignment, horizontal) which formats the cells as if they are merged without actually merging them. You can only have centre alignment with that though, not left or right.

Upvote 0
Solution
Text will run into the next cell (as long as that cell is empty). Numeric values, including dates will not.

The only way to do it without merging is to use centre across selection (Ctrl 1, alignment, horizontal) which formats the cells as if they are merged without actually merging them. You can only have centre alignment with that though, not left or right.
Thanks, Jason, I can work with that.

Upvote 0
As it turns out, in Excel 365, there is another way. There is a Merge Across" option in the Merge and Center dropdown. And if the number doesn't need to remain a number, it can be converted to text. Here are a couple of examples:

image.png

Upvote 0
Merge across is just merging cells, which I thought you didn't want to do?

Upvote 0
And if the number doesn't need to remain a number, it can be converted to text.
Sorry, I should have clarified that in my reply.

Formatting numbers as text will cause problems with formulas, sorting, and filtering. Most people only think of formulas as needing the proper format.

Upvote 0
Merge across is just merging cells, which I thought you didn't want to do?
I asked why text values extend without merging, but numeric values do not. I didn't say I didn't want to merge. Jason provided an explanation and showed another way. I looked into that and discovered yet another way, Merge Across. I was just summarizing a variety of ways to get numeric values that don't fit in a single cell to not get displayed as "*****".

IMNSHO, the different way that text and numbers are handled in this situation is yet another of the endless examples of the lack of clarity and consistency on the part of the Office developers. I bet I spend about as much time looking up and dealing with all of the inconsistencies and quirks in Excel (and Word and PowerPoint) as I do actually solving the problem at hand. Where do I send the bill for that?

Upvote 0
Sorry, I should have clarified that in my reply.

Formatting numbers as text will cause problems with formulas, sorting, and filtering. Most people only think of formulas as needing the proper format.
Your reply was perfectly clear. It's just that when I looked into it, I discovered another way, so I thought I'd provide a summary of the different ways.

Upvote 0
What is this, national nitpick day?

I asked if there was a way to extend without merging. I didn't say I never wanted to merge. Them Jason provided a very helpful reply that included a solution that employed merging. I found that helpful and did a little checking and found yet another way that also involved merging. I thought I'd provide a summary of all of the ways with and without merging. ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back