Why wont this sort???!!!!???

automationamateur

Board Regular
The query below feeds a report. I want to sort the report by "AOF" field. I keep running in to two problems. 1. I need to force nulls in the "AOF" field to 0 (they can't just display blank on the report) and 2. I need the AOF field to be in this format #,### (ie 1,234). I've tried every combination I can think of, if I use nz or iif to foce nulls to 0 on the query it changes to string so report can't sort on string. If I leave the query as is I can display "AOF" field in proper format and it sorts fine but I cannot force nulls to 0? Please, please, please help I've spent hours on this to no avail! Thank you.

Code:
SELECT  qrysubqryAOFMargin.ClientNumber, qrysubqryAOFMargin.ClientName,  qrysubqryAOFMargin.[IT/PA], qrysubqryAOFMargin.Product,  qryAOFProductRollup.AOF, qrysubqryAOFMargin.SumOfTotalRevenue AS [Total  Revenue], qrysubqryAOFMargin.SumOfTotalExpense AS [Total Expense],  ([SumOfTotalRevenue]-[SumOfTotalExpense]) AS MarginDollar,  IIf([SumOfTotalRevenue]=0,0,([SumOfTotalRevenue]-[SumOfTotalExpense])/[SumOfTotalRevenue])  AS MarginPercent
FROM qrysubqryAOFMargin LEFT JOIN qryAOFProductRollup ON  (qrysubqryAOFMargin.ClientNumber = qryAOFProductRollup.ClientNumber) AND  (qrysubqryAOFMargin.[IT/PA] = qryAOFProductRollup.[IT/PA]) AND  (qrysubqryAOFMargin.Product = qryAOFProductRollup.Product)

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Instead of AOF, trying
CDbl(NZ(AOF,0))

The CDbl should convert the 0 string back to a number. I used CDbl here in case you have decimals.

Denis

Upvote 0
Put in the query; that way you can use it elsewhere, and check the result without having to run the report.
And I have been told by someone who should know, that pre-compiled queries are faster than SQL statements when used as the data source for reports.

Denis

Upvote 0
Well, I tried the first bit below and it worked but removed commas so I wanted to format it so I tried the second bit below and all my nulls returned with "#Error". I still feel like I am running into the issue because I need it to be a number so i can sort, I need it to be formatted #,###. Am I missing something? I know I can add the AOF in the query/report twice and just show one of the fields in the report but I'm hoping to avoid that approach if possible. Thanks for the help thus far.

SAOF: SAOF: CDbl(NZ(AOF,0))

SAOF: CDbl(Format(Nz([AOF],0),"#,###"))

Upvote 0
Learning can be so funny at times. Right after my last post I figured it out. I left Sydney Geeks suggestion in the query which does what it needs to (converts to # and forces 0 for nulls) and just applied the #,### formatting at the report level which apparently does not convert it back to a string (I was concerned it was going to do this). Now it displays and sorts everything perfectly. Thanks for the help!

SydneyGeek,

I am curious about the precompiled query remark. How would one precompile the query rather than the sql statement. Any links where I can do some reading up on this?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Sorry, used a bit of shorthand there.
A 'precompiled' query as I referred to it is a saved query. Access does some background optimization.
A 'SQL Statement' is where your rowsource for the report is built using a SQL string, instead of a saved query.

The point I was trying to make, is that a saved query can give better performance on a big report than a SQL string used as the rowsource.

Denis

Upvote 0
Learning can be so funny at times. Right after my last post I figured it out.
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back