Width Auto-Adjust

joferder

Board Regular
I am in the process of creating a form for the place that I work and I am using Excel to make the form look exactly like the form that was created in Word. This requires me to make it so that the cells can have multiple lines of text typed into it and they will expand if more than one line is entered. In one of the lines that I need this to work I entered two lines of text and selected both AutoFit and I also tried double clicking on the bottom line of the cell (on the left side where it numbers the cells) and neither of them actually did anything. I'm sure that some one will suggest that I just adjust the row width manually but the problem with that is that it leaves too much room for error and we would prefer that the row adjusts itself automatically. If any knows how to fix this problem I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
If you want to adjust the width of a cell, you have to AutoFit the column not the row. It seems from your message that you may have been trying to do the AutoFit on the row.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your input, but the solution that you suggested doesn't really resolve the issue that I am having. I need the entire form to remain on one page so that when we have pilots print it out it doesn't require multiple pages to be printed. Also I tried making the column autofit and it still didn't work. I am thinking that neither of them work because I have merged several cells together in that row.

John

Upvote 0
The merged cells are definitely the problem. I tried it out and, as you said, you cannot autofit the width. You also cannot wrap the text in merged cells. Can you unmerge the cells?

Upvote 0
Convince the bigheads in your office to fork over the cash for Acrobat Writer. It will save you a ton of headaches! And if you already have that software, why are you using Excel for this?

Upvote 0
The problem with unmerging the cells is that it will screw up the alignment of the blocks that need to be filled in. We may have come up with a compromise by just adjusting the width of the row so that three rows of text will fit. As far as text wrap for the cell is concerned that is not a problem because it seemed to work for me. As far as the bigheads buying Acrobat Writer...yeah right that'll happen. I work for the US Air Force and even if they did buy the program it would take them three years to install the program. Plus getting them to buy a program to make my life easier just isn't likely. Thanks for all of your input.

John

Upvote 0
Don't assume they won't allow it. Give it a try. They're likely to listen if you point out it will improve productivity, improve morale (less frustration and time wasted) and make everyone more productive! Besides, since you work for the Air Force you could probably get a severe discount.

There's a lot you can do with Acrobat Writer's forms engine. On second thought, if you become more productive, they might throw more work at you; that's what happens with me. So it's up to you I guess.

Upvote 0
As far as "Unmerging the Cells", try using "Center Across Selection" formating instead. It shows the same on the page but does not have the problems that Merged cells do.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back