Wierd Issue

jeffmoseler

I am haveing a problem with Excel so that when I type a formula in a cell, it shows the formula instead of the result. I have tried everything to get the cell to show the result and I can't get it to work.

I am using Excel 2002

Thanks for any help you can give!!

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Is the cell formatted as Text?

Format it in the Format that you want, then you can F2-->Enter to apply the format. If it's a whole range, then you can use Data-->Text to Columns and keep the destination the same as the source.

Hope that helps,

Smitty

Upvote 0
This may be a stupid question on my part, but are you typing an = in front of your formula? If not, Excel sees your formula as text. If you are remembering the =, it would help if you posted the formula, so we could look at it. Only other thing I could think of is if you accidentally put a ' in front of your formula.

Upvote 0
Have you tried pressing Ctrl and the key next to number one?

Sorry I'm not sure what it's called and it doesn't looklike it when i press it! :LOL:

Upvote 0
Under Tools >Options there is a toggle to display results or formulas

lenze

Upvote 0
Tried it all

=IF(Sheet4!A2="Total",Sheet4!A2,Sheet4!B2)

This is the formula. I have tried everything you guys entered. If I change the format to show the formulas, all the formulas are changed, if I change it back everything changes back to display the results, except this one cell. If I go into another cell and change the formula, when I leave the cell it shows as a formula and I can't change it back.

It's almost like all new formulas are posting this way, while the old ones show the results. Is there a way, besides the Options Menu, to force it to display results?

Upvote 0
Related Issue?

I don't know if this is related to this problem, but I took this formula:

=SUM(V2:V44)

clicked between the 4 and the ) deleted 44 and typed 200. When I pressed enter, it changed the number formating from general to number with 2 decimals. Why would it do that if the result was 32. There are no decimals in 32. I'm really confused!!

Upvote 0
Check to see if there is any custom formatting on this cell

Format>Cells>Number Tab

lenze

Upvote 0
Sounds like you're trying to enter formulas into cells excel has flagged as text.

To fix this for existing formulas, select the cells with the text 'formulas', go to edit | replace. replace = with = . this has the effect of re-entering the formulas, thereby alerting exel to the fact that they're formulas, not text strings.

For the remaining cells, select the cells, go to edit | format cells and set them as general.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arndtea

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back