Wild Card filename references in formulas

spb

Board Regular
Is there a way to wild card file name references in formulas to make it easier to duplicate formulas between like categories. I have data from several regions. I have the regions copy their data to a central file share with the following filename format, NE Data.xls, SE Data.xls, etc. I have formulas that refer to these files but when I update the formulas I have to update each file name ref individually as I copy the updated formulas across the region fields they are placed in. Can you wild card the beginning of the file name so when I update one set of formulas I can just copy them in each set of related region fileds and be done with it? The data is identified within each file as with a field that the formula looks at.
I think this may slow formula updates down since now the formulas will be looking at 10 files and not just one. Would it screw up my links?

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
No, you can't have wildcard characters in filenames in links. It will not be looking at 10 files, it will just fail.

If you copy a set of formulae with a particular embedded filename, and want the copy to have a different embedded filename, just select the copied cells and do an Edit/replace for the filename. It sound like you'd only have do that 9 times to set the whole thing up.

Upvote 0
Thanks Glenn. That's what I've been doing but I'm always looking to make things even simpler. I appreciate the insight.
Steve

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9Kimo3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back