Wildcard solution maybe??

bc4240

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Each week I have to scan a changing list of names that includes former students. I want to find each student listed. My problem is that the list is outside my control and sometimes students names are presented differently depending on who creates that weekly list. Often Thomas becomes Tom, Nathan becomes Nate, Robert becomes Bob. Is there a way to wildcard any/all of the matching letters in my Cross Check list to the Weekly list e.g.

Weekly Cross Check Solution
Robert Bob (Since B and O are in both I'd like Robert to show in my Solution cell)
Thomas Tom (Since T, O and M are in both I'd like Thomas to show in my Solution cell)
Nate Nathan (Since N, A and T are in both I'd like Nate to show in my Solution cell)

This is as close as I have come to a solution. I am currently using this in my Solution cells:

=XLOOKUP("*"&LEFT(Weekly Range,3)&"*",Cross Check Range,Weekly Range,"No Match",2)

But this basically looks at the Cross Check Range cell's first three letters with anything before or after and compares those three letters to the Weekly Range Values. Because there is no Bob in Robert or there is no Tom in Thomas I get a "No Match". There is a "Nat" in Nate so I get a positive return of Nate.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Sorry my typing above got crunched together

Mr Excel.jpg

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back