Will updating a template update files dependent on it?

paulkinzelman

Sorry, this is kind of a fundamental question but I don't see it answered anywhere.

When I use a template to create a new excel file, does the new excel file take a 'snapshot' at the time I create the new file and there's no connection between the new excel file and the template that created it? Or does the new excel file still have a connection to the template, so that if I update the template, all the excel files created from that template get the changes?

If the former (no persisting connection, which is what I suspect), how do people manage templates and the files that depend on the template? In other words, if a template needs to be updated (a bug is found, etc.), is there any painless way to get that bug fix into all the excel files created from that template? Or do you have to manually update each excel file with that same bugfix (yetch)?

And further, if the former, what is the value added of using a template at all? Why not just create a 'master excel' file and then just copy it whenever you want to create a new excel file based on that template?

TIA!

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back