Windows 7 & Excel 2007 Issues

lac0403

Board Regular
This forum will probably be shocked, but my company is just now making the switch from XP to Windows 7, and from excel 2003 to Excel 2007. The employees think we are having problems with Windows 7, but our IT group is very weak, and especially knows nothing about macros. (I am in the finance department) When I asked them to look into it, all they could tell me was the versions had been updated. In fact, the informed me they had just run 200 patches.

I did some searching on the internet & the forum to see if what issues we had were common, but most of what I found was resolved with running updates and such. But I fear there are some other "adjustments" that had to occur that aren't as well documented.

What we are seeing is this:
  1. Excel sometimes switches to R1C1 reference on its own.
  2. It will not stay in events enabled. I can go into VBE, and set application.enableevents=true, click back to the workbook, and go back to VBA again, and do ?application.enableevents and it comes out false. But not every time.
  3. When we open files, especially from a network drive, it will tell us another user has the file open (even though no one does), and we can hit "Notify" and anywhere from 10 seconds to 5 minutes later it will notify the file is available for read-write.
  4. I know this isn't excel - but to scope the problem - to login to the "system" (Novell for us), I know have to login once, and it will time out, and then login a second time. (We are not on ActiveDirectory)
  5. A file on my computer will say it does not have enable events, but is shows enabled events on another computer. But sometimes it is not on the XP computer either, but I don't know if it is because I had opened the file on my computer.

The issues do not happen consistently, so we cannot duplicate repeatedly. (Which in our IT world means, "I don't have a problem until you can prove there is a problem") We have 250 files that run macros, and while I have verified the calculations are occuring correctly, the function issues are very concerning. And soon people are going to start questioning if the file works correctly at all.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? Maybe it isn't about Excel or about Windows 7. But any assistance would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back