Windows10 task Scheduler cannot open Excel

juliaaaa

Hi, I want to set up my task scheduler to auto open excel.xlsm format at a specific time, but some how it keeps gives me the error message

Task Scheduler--> Create a basic task-->Program/Script "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE"-->Add arguments ‪C:\Users\julia\Desktop\AOSmith.xlsm

when I run it, it gives me error message saying file could not be found, check spelling of the file name and verify that the file location is correct, if you are trying to open the file from your list of most recently used files, make sure that the file has not been renamed, moved, or deleted.

Please help!!

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Ok, I got it. From http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/excel-files-can-not-be-opened-in-task-scheduler-in/aa6cf065-09ac-44d8-b6fb-a2f2ecd9b8cc?auth=1

In the actions tab don't set the program to the file. Instead set it to the EXCEL.EXE program (in quotes) then in the 'Add arguments (optional)' field add the file with path (in quotes). I also changed 'configure for' to 'Windows10' in the general tab.

I found it helpful to browse for both in file explorer then copy the path name. It seems like it needs to be something like "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\EXCEL.EXE" and "C:\\myfolder\myfile.elsm".

My guess is that you simply need the quotes on the 'Add arguments' or to set the configure for Windows 10 option.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back