Wingdings in userform not displaying

RobbieC

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi there, I have a speadsheet that uses Wingdings in a userform. I use Chr(254) & Chr(168) to simulate checkboxes.

This all works fine for every machine that this spreadsheet runs on (using Office 2010)

However, I have one machine that is refusing to display these characters. Instead, a black 'diamond' with a ? is displayed...

I have checked that Wingdings is installed. It is. When I open the userform up in the VB window, it is showing the correct characters. Very strange!

I can even get the Wingdings characters to appear in a cell in a spreadsheet, but NOT when the userform launches.... Just on this one machine...

The only thing I can think of is that the Windows 10 was originally German language and I removed it and installed English. I'm pretty sure that the Wingdings were working before then...

Has anyone got any ideas where this conflict might be coming from?

If you can help, I'd be very grateful... this is driving me bonkers

Rob

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.

Jaafar Tribak

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Are you setting the font at design time or via code at runtime ?

If at runtime then don not forget to set the font charset property to SYMBOL_CHARSET

Something like this :
VBA Code:
Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
    Label1.Font.Name = "Wingdings"
    Label1.Font.Charset = 2
    Label1.Caption = Chr(254)
End Sub

RobbieC

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Jaafar, thanks for replying.

I'm not setting the font via VB. The labels are just font selected as Wingdings in the designer window

This has not been an issue with any other machine though

I shall give it a go and see what happens

RobbieC

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
No, unfortunately that hasn't sorted it

It seems to be a system issue. I uninstalled the OS German language pack as I noticed installation windows were in German.

But I had already successfully used the spreadsheet with the userform wingdings last week. It was only today AFTER the system language change

Any thoughts?

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregor222