Wondering if passwords are "buggy" in Excel

Ruthanne

Board Regular
Are passwords know to inexplicably change/bug in Excel (I am using 2003).
I only use one password for all my workbooks I make at my office & one rather complicated one no longer accepted my password. It is highly unlikely that co-workers "figured out" my password AND reprotected it using theirs (most don't use Excel & don't do practical jokes) but internet research didn't indicate this is a problem. I would like to know because if it is a problem I will start using the blank/default protection & hope for the best (the last incident was tedious to recover from!)
Thanks!

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
It's not an issue I've ever experienced (I guess you are talking about passwords to open the workbook rather than worksheet/book modify passwords?) but it might be possible if your workbook were becoming corrupted.

Upvote 0
oops, I apologize for mixing that up...I meant the protection password on the individual worksheets.

Upvote 0
I'm not aware of any issue with those changing, but it is much easier to crack a worksheet password (no matter what it is, it can be broken in about a minute using plain VBA) so it may be a bit more likely that someone else is responsible. Do you have any code that protects/unprotects the worksheets?

Upvote 0
I've not heard of problems with passwords bugging out before... AB

Upvote 0
Aha! I should have known you experts could crack it...though I think there's online "products" one can order also.
I checked the workbook & there was no protection code in the VBA (and also this password problem happened before I added the slew of VBA/command buttons recently).
I agree with something I recently read on an MVP post: most things we accidentally do ourselves. I must've typo'd my password...twice! I think that's more probable then the other possibilities especially if this is not a known bug.
Thanks a mil!

Upvote 0
There are plenty of ways to crack passwords, but it's board policy not to disclose them here. Just a heads up. ;)

But I've never heard of passwords getting wonky.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back