Word 2010 problem with "floating" text boxes (or "label" boxes)

JohnHWisc

Hello,

First, I just signed up to this forum; I hope I post this question correctly.

I have prepared a pretty large Word 2010 document, with a number of tables and graphs inserted. My edits of this document are ongoing. I have stumbled upon a problem just recently (today). It may not sound very important, but it is beginning to be very annoying. I *think* it only started today, but perhaps it's been around for the last week or so and I just haven't noticed it.

As I move around the document and move my cursor, several one-line text "boxes" or "labels" pop up on the page. I can't "catch" the boxes to click on them with my cursor---they move out of the way when I try to do so and pop up elsewhere, so I don't think they could be called "buttons", though they are perhaps that size. At this point, the two boxes say the following: "Chart Area" and "Secondary Vertical (Value) Axis Title" (both of these are labels encountered when you create a chart in Excel and then transfer this chart to your Word document). What are these stupid labels/boxes? I can't see that they serve any function and I don't know why they might just now be starting to appear.

Actually, I lie, I recently changed the mouse pointer through my control panel (hardware;mouse;pointers). I am slightly visually impaired and needed to make my pointer bigger. I picked a setting in the control panel that reads: "Windows Inverted (extra large) (system scheme)". There was nothing associated with this setting that implied that my pointer would be followed by these pointless, "ghost" label boxes.

I'm sorry if I've worded this question in a clunky manner, but I can't figure out why this is going on and it's beginning to drive me nuts.

If you have any suggestions, please respond to this thread.

Thanks, JohnHWisc

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiguekHeka

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back