word bookmarks

nabuzzard

I am using excel to populate a substantial word report, by reference to bookmarks.

The problem is how to look within an enclosing word bookmark, and then delete the bookmark (and text) of any bookmarks that are contained within that first enclosing bookmark.

I have tried various things, but keep struggling to get (I think) the syntax right for looping through the all the word bookmarks that are within a word bookmark range.

As part of this there are various sections, which contain differently formatted lists. The number of entries is not fixed (there is an upper limit for each list). The word document has a bookmark for each entry on the list (e.g. listentry1, listentry2, listentry3 etc, and have it set up to replace the text at each entry. That works brilliantly.

The problem I have is getting rid of the unused 'listentry' bookmarks and text (which includes the paragraph marker) before formatting.

This is necessary as I need the entries to end with a semicolon, with the penultimate entry ending "; and" and the last entry ending with a period (house style - don't ask). This means I have to dynamically amend the list entries once the list is completed as it is not certain which will be the last /penultimate entry - the number of entries being variable. I could do this for individual lists, but given the number of lists, I am looking for a bit of code that be called on to do any list. I have a function that almost does all this as follows (any variables not set up in the function are global and set up elsewhere), the function compiles fine and the module it is in does start with 'option explicit':

Function format_lists()
Dim k As Integer
Dim list_count As Integer
Dim insert_para As Paragraph
Dim para_text As String
Dim bmk As Word.Bookmark

For i = 1 To count_repeat_bookmarks("notelist_bm") 'this is a sub that counts bookmarks with a name increments a number at the end
bookmark_ID_temp = "notelist_bm" & CStr(i) 'set a temp bookmark name based on the name's root with a number increment added

'blank the remaining bookmarks in the list
'***THIS IS WHERE THE ERROR OCCURS
For Each bmk In objDoc.Bookmarks(bookmark_ID_temp).Range
insert_text "", bmk.name 'this is a sub used to change bookmark content - this works fine as a sub
Next bmk

If objDoc.Bookmarks.exists(bookmark_ID_temp) Then
'format the list
With objDoc.Bookmarks(bookmark_ID_temp).Range
.ListFormat.ApplyListTemplate ListTemplate:=objDoc.ListTemplates(2), ContinuePreviousList:=False, ApplyTo:=wdListApplyToWholeList
'Count the list entries
list_count = .Paragraphs.Count
'add to the last entry in the list
For k = 1 To list_count
Set insert_para = .ListParagraphs(k)
para_text = .ListParagraphs(k).Range.Text
If k < list_count - 1 Then insert_para.Range.Text = Mid(para_text, 2, Len(para_text) - 2) & (";") & vbNewLine
If k = list_count - 1 Then insert_para.Range.Text = Mid(para_text, 2, Len(para_text) - 2) & ("; and") & vbNewLine
If k = list_count Then insert_para.Range.Text = Mid(para_text, 2, Len(para_text) - 2) & (".") & vbNewLine
Next k
End With
End If
Next i
End Function

The amendment of the entries works fine to add the semicolons etc.

The problem is that after population of the initial list, if there are say 3 entries from a list limited to 5 there will be two blank entries with unused bookmarks at each (e.g. named listentry4 and listentry5 etc). I need to delete bookmarks and the text including the paragraph marker which is in the bookmarks from the word list before the formatting occurs.

The entire list is within a bookmark named for example "notelist_bm" (the code is testing on a single list - the idea is the name of the list encasing bookmark is carried to the function each list - I will amend to do this once the single list code works)

Any thoughts on how to delete the word bookmarks (and their enclosed text) that falls within another word bookmark? I have put in bold my latest thought that did not work - this is where the error occurs.

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Try adding '.Bookmarks' at the end of your For Each line:

VBA Code:
For Each bmk In objDoc.Bookmarks(bookmark_ID_temp).Range.Bookmarks

Try this on a copy of your document first. I believe the For Each will first return the Notelist_bm bookmark itself before its internal bookmarks. If you blank out the first bookmark in the For Each, it might blank out the entire thing. You'll have to add a test for the name to make sure it doesn't have "Notelist" in it or confirm that the first one is always the entire bookmark and skip it in another way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Brilliant, thanks.
You were right that the first iteration of the loop needed to be skipped - went with using a flag as below, this makes the sub work for any list

flag = False
For Each bmk In objDoc.Bookmarks(bookmark_ID_temp).Range.Bookmarks
If flag = True Then insert_text "", bmk.name 'this is a sub used to change bookmark content - this works fine as a sub
flag = True
Next bmk

Thanks
Neil

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back