word doco to read from excel file

ajm

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
folks, the powers that be insist on our reporting being presented in word documents. Being rather busy with all their other requirements, i do not want to have to manually go through each Word doc to copy and paste in values here and there. I thought of setting up the required text entries in Excel as formulas (eg: ="Total sales this month ("&A8&" ) are $"&A10, where A8 is the date and A10 the $$. Once again, I would like to avoid the copying and pasting of these text entries.

can it be done the other way around? where the word document is set up as a template that links to the specific values within the excel file. sort of like Total sales this month ("&'[Money File.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A$8&" ) are $"&'[Money File.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A$10

plenty of posts around about embedding files into the word doco but nothing i can find to actually link in the value into statements in word.

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
If you copy an Excel range and paste it into Word using Paste Special with one of the paste link options, changes to the Excel data will automatically update the Word document.

Upvote 0
hi macropod. will try it this afternoon and let you know how i get on.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max_pedreira

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back