Word VBA - shortcut keys suddenly triggering a rogue dialogue box

DavidSCowan

Board Regular
I am reasonable familiar with VBA for Excel but new to Word VBA. I have cobbled together a couple of simple Word macros and assigned keyboard short cuts. These worked successfully for a while but suddenly for no reason I can discern the hot keys stopped triggering the macros and whenever the hot key combinations are activated I am taken to a dialog box "Get a Digital ID" and offered the option to buy a digital ID from a digital partner or create my own. I don't want to do either.

I have set the security setting to allow macros to run etc. but this makes no difference. I am working with Office 2007 and with Windows 7

Somehow the keyboard shortcuts have got entangled with some sort of Assign Digital Signature command. Could somebody please tell me what is going on and how I can get my shortcut keys back.

Thank you

David

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Open word and then select the Quick Acces Toolbar then reset the keyboard commands to see if it removes the issue, then in the quick access tools select Keyboard shortcuts and then from the list select Macros then select your macro and assign the shortcut keys you want.

Upvote 0
Thanks very much for your reply but I am afraid I still have the problem.

If I understood you correctly when, as suggested, I reset the keyboard commands then the shortcut keys don't do anything - so far so good.

But when I attempt to re-assign the short cut keys to the macro I create the problem all over again. I do the following:
- Start/Word Options/Customize/Macros
- Then click on the macro name
- And then Keyboard Shortcut Keys Customize

The Customize Keyboard dialogue box appears which has two columns. The first column is headed "Categories" and the default entry in the list is: "Office Menu". The second column is entitled "Command" and the default position is Add Digital Signature.

Further down in the dialogue box there is "Specify keyboard Sequence" So in the "Press New Shortcut Key" In this case I enter Ctrl Shift M.

Further down there is "Description" of what the new shortcut key will do and of course it says "Add a digital signature."

So it seems that despite earlier going down the macro route to assign a shortcut key to a macro I have assigned a shortcut key to a popular command!

Thanks again but do you have any ideas?

David

Upvote 0
Hi David,

I think you would need to assign another combination if the Digital Signature is the primary option. Normally the Ctrl + 6 to 9 is free or some of the Alt Key options

In earlier verisons you used to be able to over write the default.

Upvote 0
Hi Trevor

Thanks for sticking with this. From what you have said I now see what I have done wrong. In the first column of the Customize Keyboard dialogue box if I scroll down Macros appears again as an option so that selecting that and then assigning a shortcut does the trick. I am certain I didn't do this when I first assigned the shortcut keys that later went wrong but of course now it all makes perfect sense.

The option of macros in an earlier dialogue box was confusing as it doesn't seem to serve any purpose when assigning shortcut keys to macros.

Thanks very much for your help it wouldn't have sorted out without it.

With kind regards

David

Upvote 0
Pleased to read you have a solution David. ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back