Word Wrap & Autofit Row Height Stop Working if Lots of Text

lisarenae0561

Please note: I've been researching this online for days and have found many threads with a similar issue relating to merged cells, but I'm not using merged cells, so haven't found a solution to this problem.

Version: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Excel 2003<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
What I’m trying to do: <o:p></o:p>
Display all contents of cells containing lots of text without any manual adjustments.<o:p></o:p>
Problem: <o:p></o:p>
Excel can hold about 32,000 characters per cell but will only display about 1024 of them when using automated features like word wrap and autofit row height. I need to be able to view all contents of a cell without manual adjustments. Note that cells are formatted as General and none are merged.<o:p></o:p>

What happens when I go beyond the viewable limit:<o:p></o:p>
  • Word wrap stops wrapping after a certain amount of text. The text just goes off the right edge of the cell. I can still view all of the text in the formula bar when I click on the cell, but it won’t wrap anymore. I have to manually enter Alt + Enter to create line breaks/feeds in the cell.<o:p></o:p>
  • Autofit row height won’t adjust the height any taller after a certain point. Even when I manually create line breaks via the method above and double click the row divider to autofit row height, it won’t adjust any taller. I have to manually drag the row divider to display the remaining lines.<o:p></o:p>
What I need:<o:p></o:p>
A macro that will enter a line break/feed every X number of characters (but won’t break in the middle of words) and will set the row height based on the number of characters in the cell (I’ll use trial & error to determine how many characters should equate to a certain row height). I want the macro to initiate upon exiting a cell only in certain columns.

I know how to open the Visual Basic Editor but would need to know whether to place the macro code in a new module or in ThisWorkbook.

Thank you in advance! If someone could solve this, it would help soooo many people!!

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back